Chapter 48 Leave us alone!

The doctor and his team had only taken Malachi as far as they had to, to reach an undamaged intensive care room. By the time Tamar got there, they had him hooked up another intravenous feed of blood and were working to repair the damage he'd caused to their earlier work. When Tamar came in, their work came to a stop. She slid along the wall until she found a corner. Dropping to the floor, she sat pressing her back into the corner, trying to look as non-threatening as possible. Within minutes, all the alarms were silent. At last, the doctor stood up, his back cracking several times.

"There, as long as he stays in this bed, he'll heal." Turning, his eyes locked on Tamar. "The question now is, what are we supposed to do with you?"

"I'm only here because he brought me here. I don't want any trouble from anyone," she talked to the floor. "All I want is to be left alone with him." She nodded towards Malachi.

"We might not have very much say in what happens to him. "The doctor patted the bed. "He was weak before he got out of this bed. We did as much as we could, but at the rate he was deteriorating, he might never recover."

"He will now." Tamar could feel him now. His heart rate was strong, pulse normal, even his blood pressure had returned to normal. Claw was busy repairing the damage done to him, in another hour or so it would be as if he'd never been hurt.

"No, he won't. His body was getting weaker by the second. With that and the loose of blood, it's a miracle he's even alive." The tall man was getting irritable. Tamar couldn't blame him. He'd been working on the man she loved for hours, then had to repair much of the work he'd already done. So she was more than willing to cut him some slack.

"Check again doctor," she told him, keeping her tone as friendly as was possible for her.

Whirling from her to the many monitors, the doctor stopped, his head cocking to one side. All at once, he began to punch the keys on a nearby keyboard. Still typing, he swiveled his head to look in Tamar's direction.

"How is this possible? He's healing at a rate I've never seen? All his stats are in the green and climbing. He punched one last key, then turned to face Tamar.

"What did you do to him?"

Tamar climbed to her feet, with slow deliberate steps she picked her way towards her heart.

"To him, nothing, for him, nothing." She slipped up to Malachi's bedside, tears streaming down her cheeks. "What he did for me, everything." Pulling back the bed sheet, she looked down to make sure she wouldn't hit any of the many cords and wires that were attached to him and slid in next to him.

Joshua was just helping the Captain to his feet when the lights began to flicker. The first few strobes were slow pulses, but then began to pick up speed until the flashes became a continuous strobe, only to die out with the last one, taking the lights out permanently, leaving only the dull red emergency lights to provide any illumination.

"What the hell was that?" Tomas asked, his voice horse.

"I have no idea, but I bet it had something to do with Malachi and that thing he brought on board." Joshua replied.

"My thoughts exactly. We'd better get down there and find out what's going on."

"Captain, it may be better for you to get back to the bridge. We are, after all, in a hostile system. We need you there more than trying to figure out what's wrong with a single one of your officers, even him."

"And you don't think I can handle it, do you? Is that it?"

"Well sir, she did manage to put you through three walls. Do you know anyone who has that kind of power, because I don't? She doesn't like you ever much. Does that remind you of anyone? If you go down there, you're only going to make this situation worse. I'll take care of it. You are needed on the bridge." Captain Prey's shoulders slumped, then straightened.