Chapter 58 Playtime and passion

When Malachi at last broke the kiss, Tamar was out of breath, the heat generated by her body more than enough to combat the coolness of the water.

"Is this so bad?" Malachi asked, his breath hot on her cheek.

"You can be seriously devious when you want to be, can't you?" It wasn't a question, more a statement.

"You have no idea." He told her with a twinkle of gentle amusement in his eyes.

"Okay, so now what? I don't know how to swim."

"I think it's enough that you're in the water at all. We should take it one step at a time." Malachi took a palm full of water and lifted it close to her face. "May I?"

Tamar shied away from it for a second, fear once again coming to her eyes. With effort she calmed. "What are you going to do with that?" She shifted her gaze to the water in his hand, then back to his face.

"I was going to wash your face, if you'll let me."

Tamar had never let water anywhere near her face, especially her face. Sometimes it was hard to drink except from a glass, and she'd never seen very many of those in her life time. But there he was, wanting to put water on her face, to wash her face. Then it hit her. He didn't want to just touch her with water, he wanted to wash her clean. Malachi wanted to wash away everything that covered her. Wanted to clean her as a person, not like an animal.

Nervously, she shook her head that it was okay. With great care, he brought his palm to her cheek and just held it there. Tamar shivered as she felt the water run through her hair, down her cheek, then back into the lake. Looking down, she saw a small eddy of brownish red disperse along with it.

After that first touch, she felt something break inside her. It felt like a door within her that had been shut for far too long had all at once been flung wide open. Much to Malachi's surprise, she let go of him and slid beneath the water. Half a second later, she burst out again, sputtering and gasping.

"I've never done that before. Forgot you can't breathe under water." Once the fit of coughing was finished, she took an over sized breath and sank from view once more. Shaking her head back and forth until the surrounding water was cloudy, she at last came up for air.

Tamar felt like a lifetime of darkness was coming off her. Something she swore she would never do now felt so cleansing, so invigorating. She no longer felt apprehension or fear of the water she was in. He had done this for her, had helped to get to a place she could not get by herself. How could he know just what she needed? He never pushed, never threatened, he was just what she needed when she needed it.

So many thoughts swirled inside her head as she began to become more adventurous. She kicked off from him and glided a few feet away before realizing that the water was over her head, she could touch bottom. Dread closed in around her, blotting out everything else. In that instant, she felt two strong arms encircle her, lifting her back to the air above. Gasping, she turned, pushing her head under his chin.

"Thanks, guess I got a bit too adventurous for my own good."

"I think you're doing great. But I think we've had enough boundary pushing for one day. Besides, I'm starving." Malachi cradled her in his arms, turned and walked back out of the water, both of them dripping water, Tamar, more than Malachi. Her hair gushed gallons. Setting her on her feet, Malachi could at last tell how long her hair was. With it wet and soaked, it hung straight down her back until it came to the back of her knees.

Malachi watched her shiver and realized how cold she had to be.

"We need a fire. Wait here." Before he could move, Tamar reached out and grabbed him.