[ 𝐈𝐈𝐈 ]

I must have gasped realizing who my saviour was because she turned around with a frown.

"Yes?" she asked or rather spat the word out.

I barely managed to shake my head. "Nothing," I almost whispered.

"Come with me," she tugged my hand.

It took us two minutes to reach her group but it felt like forever. She bent down over a notebook and scribbled something. Tearing that page, she gave it to me, "We will talk later," she offered me a half smile.

I nodded. Not bad, I went from sighing to nodding. This is probably the 30th time I'm nodding my head since morning.

I wasted another five minutes locating my friends. "Yo!" I said upon reaching them.

"Where the fuck were you? You do realize the lunch break is about to end right now," Aneesha asked

I faked a peal of laughter, "Had an encounter with Piyush. Manmeet saved me."

"Oh my god, wait, what?!" Souri exclaimed, "Manmeet? You mean I-don't-give-a-fuck-about-others Manmeet?"

I flinched and looked down, "Yeah,"

"Bro, do you know magic?" Sayandeep asked. He looked equally astonished.

"I don't. Look, Even I dunno why she did that," I said, kind of frustrated. I wanted to change this topic and I guess it was kind of clear from my voice because Aneesha seemed to take the hint.

She clapped her hands attracting everyone's attention, "What is done is done. Let's move on, already." And as if realizing it's cue the bell rang, marking the end of lunch break.

I kept sitting despite hearing the bell. My friends got up. "I'll catch up with you all later on," I said to which they nodded and left me. I looked at the piece of paper. There was a number and a note. The note said and I quote, "Meet me after the school ends," I scoffed. So much for having a peaceful school life.

It wasn't long before school ended and I found myself waiting at the main gate. I wondered if Manmeet is actually going to come or not. I mean, she's too complicated for me to comprehend. Or maybe for everyone. She rarely speaks to anyone other than her group but everyone knows better than to mess with her.

It was not before five minutes that Manmeet arrived and started looking around, probably to find me. She was alone, to my surprise. I leaned against the wall and waited for her to notice me. I almost assumed she didn't when she came and stood beside me.

"Your friends are not here," she noted.

"I told them I have to attend an extra class. I can say the same about you though,"

"I told them I am going home with you today," she replied as if it is the most normal thing.

"So??" I raised an eyebrow, "You wanted to talk to me?"

"We are going to a cafe. It is a date," she laughed. I was too shocked to reply. This is not happening. If somebody saw us together, it would either mean that my reputation is going down the drain or it is going to get a boost. And I wanted neither of them.

"Can we not?" I started only to get stared down. "Like, we can talk here... you know?" I finished, almost stuttering.

Manmeet turned without a word and started walking. The right decision at that point would have been to walk away and forget that this happened. But me, being me, decided to follow her. Of course, to stay on her nice side.

***

I pulled my blazer closer to my body. The outside was colder than what I expected and the school's uniform did little to keep it off. Manmeet was talking to the waiter, probably ordering something. I could not care enough to listen. I was more worried about my future. I looked out of the transparent glass window. The sun set only a few minutes ago but it is already so dark.

"Sanjana?"

I looked at Manmeet raising an eyebrow.

"Are you done thinking?"

"Oh, uh, yeah, sure?" I replied not so sure.

"So, I was thinking about how you can return the favour you know?"

I looked at the table. "Oh..." I let my voice drag the word. I could not help wondering what she was going to ask. It can not be that bad right? Like, she is not going to ask me to do something real bad that will cause real damage and stuff.

"Go out with me,"

Startled, I looked up so fast that I think I snapped my neck. A pain shot through my body.

"Fuck, fuck, fuck," I cursed moving my head sideways and rubbing the spot.

"Are you ok?" she asked, a hint of concern in her voice.

"Yeah, yeah," I replied as the pain slowly subsided, "What were you saying?"

"Go out with me. Like, date me. But not for real."

I stared at her surprised. This is way worse than expected.

"I dont even know you," I replied.

"Do I know you, stranger?" she replied without missing a beat. "It will be fake dating."

"But-"

"You have a favour to return,"

I sighed. Making a deal with the devil, huh?

"Here is your order," the waiter came and placed two boba tea in front of us. Manmeet put one in front of me, "Think and drink,"

"Drink and think sounds better though," I mumbled.

"Or that. So?"

I took a sip out of my boba tea. It's either taking this deal and facing it or facing something worse.

"What do I have to do?" I asked.

"I dunno? What all other lovers do probably?"

I scoffed. "You must be out of your mind. You want me to return the favour? I will do it. I am going to pay for our drinks and you can get whatever else you want and I'll pay for it. We are calling it even after that,"

Manmeet stared at me and I stared back. She suddenly closed her eyes and leaned against the chair. "Look, just help me out here, ok?"

I looked away, "Helping a stranger isn't the best idea..."

She looked up at me startled. "Strangers?"

"Huh?"

"Oh... no, no..." She shook her head and frowned. "Sorry, I was not thinking."

I looked at her curiously. She seemed so vulnerable for a moment. Or was it just my imagination?

"Look, I just broke up. I seriously can not do a relationship right now," I sighed.

She leaned back, sipping on her boba tea. This is probably the longest conversation we have had till now. I tipped my head to one side, observing her. Even though, her hair was tied tightly in a braid, a few baby hairs sprung from places giving it a messy yet aesthetic look. She had her tie loose and her shirt's first button was open even in the cold.

"Like what you see?" she asked.

"Are you seriously not cold?" I asked, slowly sipping my drink.

She did not reply and I did not care. I wondered if I should take up her deal.

"Why do you want to do this?"

She looked at me curiously, "To shut a few people up,"

"And what am I going to gain from this?"

"I'm pretty sure I'm safer than your ex-boyfriend," her already deep voice became deeper.

"Why me?"

"Oh, it could have been anyone," she smirked biting the straw.

Of course. Of course... It could have been anyone. Manmeet does not give a fuck about people. She does not give a fuck about emotions. She does not give a fuck about anything. Am I making a wrong decision?

"Fine, I'll fake-date you...."