Vol 0. Chapter 2.1 - Bonds

Ayanokōji Kiyotaka

A month had passed since Eiichiro introduced me to Tsubasa. That same day, the dark-haired boy decided that we would be hanging out every Friday and Saturday because he wanted us to grow closer.

When I asked Eiichiro about his insistence on making sure Tsubasa and I eventually become close friends, he said that it wasn't just out of his wish for me to grow but also for Tsubasa's sake.

Although the blonde-haired girl was already miles ahead of me when it came to being social and adjusting to her peers, she apparently had her own battles to endure.

And for some reason, Eiichiro believed that Tsubasa and I could help each other.

Well, I've picked up a few things from being around her, that was for sure. But was she able to take something from being around me?

I found it unlikely, but Eiichiro seemed to see something that I couldn't.

"You have to trust me, Kiyotaka," Eiichiro said, trying to appear convincing. "I've known Tsubasa-chan for years now. I could definitely tell from a glance that she appreciates having you around." 

"That much is obvious. But that isn't what I was thinking about. I'm wondering if she learned something from being around me," I replied.

It was a rather random thought that crossed my mind after recalling one of the modules we'd had in the White Room centered around Bandura's Social Learning Theory. 

This particular module wasn't about raw knowledge, martial arts, or critical thinking, as many of the other courses were. Instead, it delved into the psychological aspects of human interaction and the role of social influence.

The core idea was simple: much of human learning occurs in a social context. We observe others, mimic their actions, and internalize their attitudes, sometimes without even realizing it. 

This theory explained how people could learn new behaviors by observing others, especially those they considered role models or held in high esteem.

In the White Room, this wasn't taught through conventional means. We were often put in carefully orchestrated social scenarios designed to test and enhance our ability to absorb and adapt social cues and behaviors. 

The instructors emphasized the importance of being both a keen observer and an effective influencer. 

That said, I probably have work to do to achieve the latter. Although I have understood in detail how the theory functions in practice, I highly doubt people would easily be influenced by me, considering my demeanor.

"I'm sure she picked up something. Don't worry about it, Kiyotaka," Eiichiro said, interrupting my reverie.

It would seem that, like me, the other boy was also lost in his thoughts. His head, tilted upwards, with eyes facing the ceiling, was an easy indicator of a person in thought.

At that moment, I decided to shift the topic in another direction. "So why did you ask Tsubasa and I if we could hang out today? It's a Sunday, isn't it?"

He turned his head to me, giving me a bemused look, as though I'd just sprouted a second head. "Eh? So what if it's a Sunday?"

"You set the schedule for Fridays and Saturdays," I pointed out.

That should be pretty obvious, considering Eiichiro himself decided on that arrangement.

Eiichiro chuckled, "And? Friends hang out whenever they can. Spontaneous trips are way more fun, trust me!"