Chapter 12

A/N: As always, thank you all for your patience with chapters. If any of you are worried about me discontinuing this work, don't be; It's probably just me being busy with life. With that said, enjoy the new chapter! ^-^

***

His throat burned and his eyes stung with the aftermath of his tears. He nibbled on the cookies Altair had brought just a moment earlier, chewing mindlessly as he stared at the window blankly, once again pressed into Altair's embrace.

"Altair?" Scorpius asked tiredly. "Would I ever be good enough for him?"

"Young master," Altair responded, his voice as calm as ever. "What the duke wishes for you is to become a good, respectable lord. He wants you to become someone capable of shouldering the burdens he has now, removed of his own shortcomings. What he fails to realize is that a good lord does not stem from perfection. While he is not perfect, is your father not a good and respectable lord?"

Scorpius nodded silently. There was no one more greater of a noble than his father, who fought heroically in war, and brought peace to the kingdom borders. He who was strong, just, and wise. He who was larger than life— so much so that Scorpius feared he would never be able to fill his shadow.

"Do not take his harshness and criticism to heart. If the Young Master were to become a good lord in the future, the duke will come to realize it himself that you are already fulfilling his wishes."

"Then will he be proud of me?"

Altair paused. "Is that what you wish, Young Master?"

Scorpius blinked. What was he saying? Of course it was. He didn't expect him to smile or hug him like he does for Orion. All he wanted was for him to say 'You did well', 'You worked hard'— and maybe one day... 'I'm proud of you.' All he wanted was for him to be happy that he was his son.

Scorpius nodded wordlessly, ducking his head to hide his watering eyes.

Altair gently placed a hand on his shoulder. "A good father... will be very proud of you."

Scorpius looked up to meet Altair's eyes. Before, the other's gentleness had frustrated him as much as he had yearned for it, seeing his ever steady gaze conflict with his own impulse to curl up and weep. But his embrace was so soothing that it couldn't help but make him believe it would be alright to.

Altair, however, slipped away from him and Scorpius nearly wanted to cry once more at the loss.

"Please, have more of the Chamomile Lemon Tea, young master," Altair said as he poured him a new cup.

He batted his eyes, taking the porcelain cup in his hand and sipping on the drink. For a moment, he was silent, smelling the subtle floral aroma and warming his hand against the cup.

"Now, isn't that better?" Altair gently rubbed his face afterwards with a warm damp towel, his other hand cradling his cheeks for support.

"Hmph."

Although Altair's cheekiness made him want to protest, he had to admit it was. Scorpius slowly sank into the warmth of his hand, exhaling softly as he closed his eyes. He wanted to forget everything and stay in Altair's comforting arms forever, but he couldn't— not when his father's rage was right around the corner.

As if he was reading his mind, Altair spoke again. "The lord will not be angry at you, Young Master."

Scorpius's relaxed face creased through the cloth. "What do you mean? Of course he will."

"Relax your face, young master. I fear you will crease your smooth skin."

Taking a deep breath, he tried to focus on Altair's voice instead.