Chapter 3

A/N: **Warning** Some questionably unmoral actions from characters that might be a sensitive topic regarding unhealthy physical discipline. Proceed with caution.

***

One thing about remembering your past life was that ultimately his body was entirely different than the one from his prior life, unlike his conciousness and mentality which was retained. 

As a result, things such as muscle memory had all been unceremoniously reset— the years he spent taking martial arts after school (which he had only kept attending due to his lack of athletic ability) did not apply here, nor did his drawing skills that he had practiced over the majority of his lifetime.

However, that also meant that his body, now with an entirely different set of experience than the previous, also had its own set of behaviors that had been engraved. 

Being the son of one the estate's highest ranking butlers, naturally he was expected to show the same level of grace, and since he was very young, he was taught to move and speak elegantly. The way he walked, ran, and how he generally moved was now completely different to his previous habits back on earth.

Again, he could only thank the skies that his memories had awakened after he had properly adjusted to seven years in this world. Without it, he would have probably struggled moving in his own body, which would be highly problematic when his current training emphasized posture and etiquette. 

Balancing books on your head while simultaneously carrying weighted trays of tall glasses of water was a common training practice— and if he had made a mistake, even as little as spilling a single drop of water on the tray, he would be punished. Surely, the road to being an attendant was by no means easy.

Renald, his instructor and overseer, was one of the senior butlers and his father's long time friend. He was strict and had a stern attitude, making him quite the difficult teacher to please.

Alongside completing the various exercises, Altair also had to study various subjects, such as arithmetics, history, geography, and the language arts. Though attending anything similar to school will always be a pain, besides mathematics, the subjects he learned were quite useful in understanding more about this world beyond the surface that the manga had covered.

For example, there were plenty of other continents, countries, and empires than the Edellion Kingdom, where Altair resided in now. The beastkin's motherland was from a different continent than that of the kingdom's, and though the people here wanted to believe that they were savage barbarians, they were highly sophisticated. 

Although they were called tribes in name, systematically they were like an allegiance consisting of several regions that expanded across the eastern continent. There, they were also allied to nations of other species, including human ones— clearly not here though.

As two years passed and Altair grew to be nine years old, his studies and training grew increasingly advanced. Thanks to both his prior knowledge and tedious practice and study, he grew to be exceptional, which greatly pleased both himself and his father. There was however, one thing that had annoyed him.

It wasn't the other children of the estate. After the incident with Gardener and his boys, the children quickly learned not to mess with him— a smart choice, really. It was actually the lack of education in his second role as a bodyguard.

Although he secretly practiced in his small bedroom, trying to apply his previous knowledge of martial arts back into his new body, progress was difficult when he was so limited. He gets that as a 'Black Dog', he was restricted from wielding any weapon or to shift, but shouldn't he get some experience? Simple things, such as kicking or punching— or even just practicing to move around when there is an opponent after you— something.