Chapter 21

Fear and pain twisted inside me, hitched my breath, and throbbed my heart as I stared at his expressionless face. My eyes were looking at his face, but at that very moment, what I was seeing was a monster.

I lowered my gaze to the ground, allowing the tears burning in my eyes to fall freely on the ground.

I heard his footsteps approaching, and my heartbeat quickened, my breath choking as I gulped and closed my eyes.

It was difficult to see him as my mate who would protect and love me. I was frightened and pained because my love for him was still stronger, yet I had to push him away. I had to run away from him with the realization that, in less than a month, he would turn into a beast and devour me like an enemy.

He left his Lycan kingdom and came down to the werewolf world so he could save his people from his deadly curse and put us at risk. 

The moon goddess kept giving him mates from his environment, so he is here to make us suffer for his crime, and unfortunately, I was one of the sacrificial lambs. I was about to be the first girl to go down, and when he eliminated me, another girl would follow suit.

This was what he meant when he said we were going  to be eaten by his curse. But the lie was saying "we" when I was going to be the only one to die.

"I am sorry." He cooed, his soft palm placed on my wet cheek. 

"Why did you come here?" I sulked, and he sighed. 

"Let's go back to the class. They are all waiting for me." He breathed as I lifted my eyes to his face. 

"Thank you for saving me now from those boys, but who will save me from you when that time comes?" I whimpered, leaning my head on his palm as I felt the heaviness in my heart grow. 

"Honestly, no one can save you. There is also nowhere to run or hide. Anyone who would try to protect you will go down with you. I had been suffering from it, and it had always been torturous, killing my mates who sparked love and great affection inside me. Imagine how horrible I feel after seeing their mangled body." He laughed sadly and slid his thumb over my wet cheeks.

"I hated you the first time I realized you were my mate because I felt you were a special girl, a special one among others who didn't deserve to die. I wished and hoped day and night that you weren't my mate, and that Laura was right about the demonic love spell story about you. It's unfortunate that she was all telling lies." He paused and hissed.

"So the werewolves are about to be sacrificed for your curse? We had always been the lowlife and useless animal in the eyes of the Lycans.My mother was right about you all!" I bawled, my lips trembling as more tears sprung out of my eyes. 

"I'd rather sacrifice all the werewolves in this world than kill a single one of my Lycan members. I am their prince and the heir to the throne. My responsibility is to protect them and not to be their killer. I'm not going to hurt any of them!" He shrugged with a heavy sigh, and I just couldn't move. 

My blood was running cold, and everything was sounding disorganized in my head as if I were losing my senses. 

"Isn't there any way to get...rid of that..curse?" I stammered, sniffing as my heart broke even more, and my head banged painfully.

I could already picture the terrifying scene on that full moon night, when he would chase after me like a ravaging beast, sprinting through every corner and angle to grab me and take my life.

"I wish I could reject you to save you from this, but I have tried it before... Even after the rejection, I would still....be forced to end your life." He exhaled heavily and tried to hold my hand, but I pulled away, breathing shakily.