chapter vi. you said

Aiko sat outside in the moist night air. The sounds of nature filled the atmosphere but there was not a voice or disturbance to walk on her already frail nerves.

Though she knew in the morning she would get up and train the kids with Kakashi, for now, she did not exist. She sat out on Tazuna's porch alone and in silence while simmering on the dark cumulonimbus clouds that followed Sasuke so closely.

"You need a bowl for your tears?"

A monotone voice questioned behind her. She did not have to turn around to know that it was Kakashi leaning on the beam behind her. Aiko was annoyed he caught her in a somber moment but it was not hard to shrug off.

"What do you want, Hatake?"

Her tone was impassive despite the obvious dark aura around her. Aiko was simply tired and did not want to be bothered any longer. She hoped it was obvious by the way she secluded herself as soon as the team captain was awake.

"Thought I would check in on my trainee. You were alone with the kids for quite a bit of time." His bored voice reasoned and she could not argue with it being a reason to seek her out. It was the responsible thing to do as her teacher.

"I was just overwhelmed, Hatake... It has nothing to do with them. They are good kids."

Kakashi could see the physical tension in the dark-haired woman's body. She sat on the porch step with rigid shoulders the moment she felt him near. It was apparent to him that she was seldom ever comfortable. This very tension in her body showed constantly and reminded him that the Aiko he saw was always only the face she was willing to show.

"Overwhelming in what capacity? Leading the kids to safety while carrying me?" Kakashi knew his words were prodding but not aggressive enough for her to outrightly decline. He simply sounded like a concerned teacher.

The wind blew cooly through the night air and picked up strands of her dark hair with it. Her silence filled the space around them as she stared at the stars and contemplated his words. Aiko was too unsure of what the answer was to the question. The kids were out of the way and receptive to orders while Kakashi was down for the count. Aiko carried the man to Tazuna's home rather easily and he recovered without intervention. Team 7 then entertained themselves while checking in on their leaders sparingly.

In general, a seamless and easy mission that went wrong.

So why am I overwhelmed?...

It felt like a few years ago all over again. Emotions brimming at the top of her throat and her chest so sore. The cold front she shielded herself with was no longer standing at attention. In its place was the sensation of a sore throat and watery eyes. Aiko wanted to be annoyed that her composure was slipping but all she could simmer on was the strumming ache in her chest.

The agony always came back to remind her of everything that fell apart years ago. Strumming loudly in her chest, Aiko struggled to get a hold of herself.

Watching them appear standing while sweating and flushed but proud in the clouded sun.

She felt her heart soar as the giddiness of happiness found the pit of her stomach. She fought the need to break out in a grin as she looked at her two Uchiha friends and could not be more happy with who she found in her company. Her face lit up and was warm even through the cool breezes on her face.

"Why are you smiling?" Shisui laughed breathlessly as he watched Aiko's emotions flick across her face and change in seconds.

She rolled her amber eyes while trying to pat down the grin.