Chapter 6

Closing off early at my warehouse job at the factory, I return home with a bag of groceries and a pounding headache

Closing off early at my warehouse job at the factory, I return home with a bag of groceries and a pounding headache. The house is silent as I step in and a sigh escapes my lips. Although there's still a long way to go before it's time for my date, it won't be bad to get started early.

I eat a late lunch and spend the rest of my time cleaning the entire apartment and preparing a meal for my sister when she arrives. She's on a strict diet thanks to her inflammatory bowel disease and the last thing I want is a flare-up. I wasn't joking when I said I have no money to give anyone.

By the time I'm done cleaning the rundown apartment, there's another E-mail waiting for me in my account. This time, it looks like I'm going to be picked up by a driver. How do they even know my address? I chuckle, dropping the phone on the couch. They've probably done their research. Freaking Billionaires. I check the wall clock. It's just past four. I have less than an hour to prepare. I step into the shower and spend a good amount of time there, scrubbing myself clean.

As the water cascades down my skin, I let my thoughts wander. This would be my first date in two years. A lot of girls would be excited but the idea just fills me with dread. A part of me wants to back out but another wants to see this to the very end. Sadly, that's the only part I listen to. I step out of the shower and start to dry my hair. I close my eyes against the ugly memories filling my head.

Since we have no hair dryer, I'd have to let it dry naturally. Tying a towel to my hair, I continue with the rest of my dress up. Applying lotion on my skin, I wear my underthings, before picking up the dress I rented and wearing it. I have not tested it out yet but just like Stephanie has predicted, it fits me perfectly, hugging the curves I forget I have. The slit allows for a good portion of my thighs to be on display and my back is laid bare. I check myself in the mirror, feeling pleased with the way I looked.

Fucking whore. Can you shut up, please?

I pull the towel off my hair, taking my time to comb it out so the natural waves come out. Applying a natural oil gives it a nice sheen as the hair tumbles down my shoulders, caressing my back. I wear the lipstick I'm given and finish off with jewelry and some perfume. I check myself in the mirror, I look a lot different now. Good.

I grab a clutch purse from my wardrobe, placing my phone, a taser, and a pocket knife. For a lack of hand accessories, I wear my watch and grab a black coat in case the night gets chilly. Throwing the last few dollars I had into the clutch, I close it. What the hell am I doing?

Cat-walking into your death, I suppose.

Emma arrives just in time to see me leave. "Woah! You look good." Escapes her lips the second she sees me. Her eyes run me up ad down and I resist the urge to twirl around, a tight smile on my face.

"Where are you going?" She asks, walking closer.

"A date," I tell her simply.

"A date?" She sounds surprised. Then is immediately suspicious. "Where?"

"Uptown," I reply and her eyes widen.

"That's weird. I haven't seen you talking to any guys lately."

"It's a blind one," I answer. I see her stiffen, her face clouded with worry. Just like me, she isn't happy about this. And with good reason too. My hands tighten on my clutch bag.

"That... Doesn't sound good." She finally voices out. She rushes towards me, grabbing my hands. "Are you sure it's just a date?" She asks me, worry etching her voice.

"I swear to you, Emma. It's just a date. I'm even going to get picked up." Yeah, no need to tell her about the reason for the date.

"Your date?"

"No, it's his driver. He's sending his driver to pick me up." I tell her. At least, that one is true.

"When will you be back?"

"I don't know but I hope it's before midnight," I tell her. I see the conflicting emotions in her eyes but she sighs and lets me go, knowing she can't change my mind now. "Have fun, I guess..." She murmurs, shrugging.

I caress her chin. "I'll be careful, I promise." She snuggles against my palm, kissing it afterward. We hear a beep outside, interrupting us.

"Looks like your driver is here." She announces when she sees an expensive car park just outside our apartment. The driver steps out and begins walking towards the house. I turn to Emma, dropping my final instructions.

"Don't let anyone in and do your homework. Your food is in the fridge, do not forget to eat and use your meds!" I say as I pick up my coat, draping it over my shoulders and my clutch.

"Yes, mommy!" She yells after me.

I freeze, turning to look at her. "Seriously? I thought we left that behind." I tell her, with a slight frown.

She's giggling, however. "Sorry, get out of here!"

A knock comes on the door, interrupting us. I go ahead to open it. A Middle aged man appears in front of me, dressed in a three-piece suit and professional looking begins to speak.

"Excuse me, but is this the residence of Miss Jessica Franklin?" He asks. I take a deep breath.

"That would be me. It's nice to see you." He brings out a card from his pocket and stretches it toward me. I accept it, running my eyes through it.

"My name is Sir Ethan and I've been assigned by my boss to bring you to your date. If you don't mind..." He trails off gesturing towards the car. I nod my head, casting one final look at Emma before walking out of the apartment, my heart racing in my chest as I clutch my coat. The driver is not far behind me. He helps me into the car before walking around to get into the driver's seat. Starting up the car, we begin driving away from the old, dilapidated buildings that surround us.

The ride is smooth and quiet. Staring out the window, I watch as the dirty rundown part that we live in slowly transforms into monumental skyscrapers and exotic landscapes. A tinge of jealousy settles in my stomach but I brush it away. It's not in my place to feel jealous about something I can't have.

We soon arrive at the location of our date na since again, I'm ushered out of the car once it has been parked. I stare at the high-rise building in front of me, doing my best to hide my amusement. "Where's the restaurant?" I ask the driver.

"It's in the building. This way, miss." The driver says, leading me to an elevator that I suspect is only used by the elites. He pushes a button and gestures inside, following me afterward. Once the door closes, I watch as the elevator shoots us up the to chosen floor. My palms are sweaty but I retain a calm demeanor throughout, gingerly cleaning off the moisture from my hands. We soon arrive at the floor and the elevator door opens he gestures outside, taking a step back. "You may leave now."

I nod and step into the empty restaurant, my heart skipping a beat. He must have rented this one out as well. My eyes dart around and land on the only man sitting at the edge of the diner close to the windows that serve splendid views of the city. He seemed lost in thought as he watched the city in the evening lights. Taking a deep breath, I steel my expression, walking towards him.

Once I'm close enough, I clear my throat, alerting this man of my presence. He looks up at me, the blank look on his face to be replaced by one of veiled shock.
Pressing my lips together, I start to speak.

"Hello, you must be my date. I'm Jessica Franklin. Nice to see you."

****
And they meet! Finally!!!
Heaven knows what's going to go down? Can you guess? Let me know what you think!
Thanks for reading and see you in the next chapter!🙈🙈