Chapter 7

It took only one glance to know she was the one

It took only one glance to know she was the one... And I have a bad eyesight. Staring at the woman before me, whatever image I had conjured on how my prospective blind date would like burned away to dust. She exceeded all of my expectations and more. To the point where I had difficulty speaking. Realizing she'd been standing for a while, I finally manage to force out some words.

"Nice to meet you as well," I reply, standing to my feet to shake her outstretched hand. Thankfully my voice doesn't reflect the surprise I'm feeling at the moment. A sizzle of electricity courses through me at the contact of our palms and I'm mentally kicking myself in hopes that she didn't feel that as well. Her expression doesn't change so I'm guessing she didn't. "My name is Devon Reeves and just like you guessed, I am your date. Please, have a seat."

"Thanks." She says, pulling her hands away. Draping her coat on the seat, she pushes it out the chair and sits down with me following. She places her bag on the table and looks at me, a tiny smile on her lips, her gaze unflickering. Even with the minimal makeup she had on, she still managed to look so striking. Long wavy hair that framed her face and highlighted the dark hues of her eyes-is it black or brown?- cascades down her shoulders, stopping just above her waist. The red dress that clung to her like a second skin didn't only make her look beautiful but also gave her an air of gentle dominance. A lot like Evelyn, except she seemed... Darker. She doesn't look like one to be trifled with. She's very different from the women I've been with, that's for sure. And I haven't been with a lot of women. Once again, I'm struggling for words.

"I hope I'm not too late. I left home the second your driver arrived. I like to keep to time." She says, her sultry voice sending shivers down my spine. I clear my throat, trying to feign nonchalance.

"You're quite on time," I say, giving her a tight smile. If anything, I'm the one who's too early. After the confrontation, I was slightly peeved that even after all these years, I still couldn't get rid of the lingering feelings I had for Evelyn. If I kept seeing her for much longer, I don't know how long my resolve would stand. I needed to do something about that quickly. Luckily, the woman before seemed straightforward enough. This should be easy.

A relieved look crosses her face and she straightens in her seat. her gaze wandering around. She looks pleased by what she sees and I find myself relaxing. "Lovely restaurant, I like the views as well. Although I'm surprised you rented it out. I don't think that's necessary. It is our first time meeting. She muttered. Her voice bore no ill intent but it still felt scathing. I stiffen, surprised at how much effect this strange woman was having on me.

"I'm not too fond of crowds," I tell her. Surprise flickers in her dark eyes but it's soon stamped out, replaced with a chilling calmness.

"Oh... I apologize then." She says, sounding apologetic. I nod, not angry in the slightest.

A server approaches and walks towards us then, dispelling the uncomfortable air that might have settled between us, bringing along with him in a cart, a bottle of wine sitting inside a bucket of ice. Giving us a slight bow, he starts to speak. "Good evening, My name is John and I'll be your server for tonight."