Chapter 67

"All right, let's not poke people in the face."

One more defiant prod to his cheek before a sweet, tiny voice uttered, "I was only checking to see if he was alive."

Azriel peeled one eye open, blinking against the harsh sunlight streaming in. Familiar onyx curtains drew partially closed on their own. The House of Wind, then.

"I'm alive," the shadowsinger assured, the sound little more than a singed rasp. His throat felt as dry as a godsforsaken dune. As if reading his mind, a glass of water plopped down on the nightstand, the water sloshing onto its mahogany surface.

The shape of a small girl with sleep-mussed hair in an ivory nightgown loomed over him. Tulia's brilliant sky - blue eyes pinned him with a serious look as straight as any interrogator. "You sure?

Cassian snorted. Azriel's lips twitched, and he tried to nod, his cheek scratching against downy sheets. Everything was stiff and aching, unused. Fuck. How long had he been in this bed?

"Promise," Azriel answered, trying to coax out a reassuring smile for her. Even that caused him to wince.

She bit her lip, tilting her head back toward Cassian seated in the bedside armchair, unpersuaded.

His brother, dressed in a rumpled white summer tunic and black sleep pants, stretched his massive arms above his head and twitched his neck from side to side. His neck thanked him with a hearty crack.

Cassian peered down thoughtfully at the girl, proposing, "Would he be speaking if he were dead?" Tulia thought for a minute, shaking her head. "He's going to be fine, little lady. Now, why don't you go see what Nesta is up to?"

"She was sleeping before," Tulia said, twiddling her fingers. "I tried to wake her up, and I told her what you said."

"And what do I say?"

"That Valkyries can't be lazy." Cassian snorted. "But Nesta told me that's a lie. That Valkyries also need their beauty rest."

Cassian's massive hand ruffled the little girl's tawny brown hair. She giggled. "Go jump on her bed. Tell her I told you to and then we'll eat breakfast."

"Pancakes? With lots of syrup?"

He winked. "You got it, Tulle."

The child cocked her head to the side. "Did the Valkyries eat pancakes, Cassian?"

"Well, they do now. Now go wake up Nesta."

With a wide grin of excitement, she nodded, bouncing with enthusiasm. Over her shoulder, Tulia added, "I'm glad you're back, Uncle Ass."

Azriel offered her a slight smile before she darted out of the door and down the hall as if on wings. The door shut in a breeze behind her.

Biting back his grimace and groan, Azriel tried to push himself up. Fuck. Every motion was brutal.

A sturdy, broad hand steadied his shoulder, his mid-back, helping him roll onto his back and then upright, adjusting the pillows behind him as he reoriented. Once finished, Cassian reached for the water, offering it to Azriel.

The shadowsinger accepted and sipped, a blessing for his throat, each swallow renewing. And when he'd had his fill, for now, Cassian took the glass and put it on the end table closest to him.

"How do you feel, Az?"

Azriel swallowed, trying out his voice again. "Like shit."

"Not going to lie; you sound like shit. Look like shit, too. Lucky for you, you don't smell like shit. You can thank me later for the daily sponge baths with a nice dinner out."