Chapter 2: Ugly Duckling

Honk!

Bella closed the door behind her and tried her best to run between the raindrops, only to fail miserably. By the time she reached my Coop, her dark hair was plastered to her face and her cheeks were a brilliant scarlet. She climbed into my car and slammed the door shut.

"Jeez, what did my Betsy ever do to you?"

Bella leaned back in the seat and she drew her jacket closer. "Sorry," she mumbled, "just had a bad day."

That caught my attention. I threw the car into reverse and carefully backed out of the driveway. When we hit the road, I turned up the heat and glanced at my older sister. "Want to talk about it?"

Bella was silent for a moment, then she spoke. "Have you ever talked to Edward?"

"Can't say I have." I tapped my fingers to the beat of the song and I glanced into my rearview mirror. "The only one I've really talked to is Alice, and that was because we had an English project together last year. Why, did something happen between you and Edward?"

Bella sunk further into the seat and she placed her hands directly in front of the vents. Warm air was coming out at a fast rate and I could see blood rush back to Bella's ghastly white fingers.

"Do you think I smell?" she held out a chunk of hair and I peeled my eyes from the road.

"Bella, what are —?"

"Can you please just smell me?"

I reached a stop sign and shifted the car into neutral. I leaned across the shifter and took a deep breath. "Bells, you smell like the same strawberry and cream shampoo and conditioner that you've used since middle school."

"So I don't stink?"

"No, you don't stink. But you do smell rather sweet." Bella lowered her hair and began absentmindedly stroking it. "Listen, if it bothers you that much we can stop at the store on the way home and get you some different shampoo. Do you want to do that?"

"No," she sighed, "I like the products that I use."

We reached the diner and I parked next to Dad's cruiser. Bella and I ran into the establishment and Dad waved us over. Bella sat on his left, directly in front of window, and I parallel to her, on Dad's right.

Cora came to take our order and after jotting it down, she fawned over Bella. My sister tried to hide her face behind her hair, but Cora wasn't allowing it. After our waitress left, Dad began grilling us about school.

"So, how was it?" he asked Bella, taking a sip of his soda.

"It was fine." She replied, twisting a straw wrapper.

"And you?" he asked, turning to me.

"Good." I reached for the dessert menu then paused. "Oh, almost forgot, I have another match this Friday. Going up against Jacob's school."

Dad rubbed the back of his neck and sighed. "I'm working, Ollie. I'm sorry."

"It's okay, Dad. If you ask nicely, I'm sure Billy will go and take picture for you."

"That's not a bad idea," he hummed, lost in thought.

Cora arrived a minute later, balancing three plates on her arms. She handed Dad his steak and he wasted no time slathering the meat with A1 steak sauce. Bella watched him in amusement, then she began smacking the ketchup bottle. The tomato puree spurted all over her fries and she nodded.

Clink!

Cora winked at me and I rubbed my hands. I was starving! The butter slid into the waffles' pits and the mini chocolate chips practically glittered under the rays of the setting sun. Thick slices of bacon were tucked beside the waffles and there was a perfectly grilled biscuit that was smothered in butter and strawberry jam. The meal was a work of art.