Chapter 3: Imprint

Jessica's face smiled back at me through the camera screen and Angela pushed the button, this time showing me a picture of myself. Long tuffs of hair had fallen from my messy bun and the loose waves were curling gently around my face. I was on the ground, twisted, and the volleyball was frozen on the back of my outstretched hand.

"Whoa, Ang, I can't believe you got a picture like this." I beamed, looking up at my friend.

The yearbook photographer smiled and she generally took the camera back from me. "Your last game was intense, and you and Jess were all over the place. I was bound to get at least a few nice shots."

I threw a sour patch kid at her and it bounced off her shoulder before landing on a shallow puddle on the ground. Mr Molina let out a sharp whistle and everyone looked at him. He waved his hand and pointed to the buses, "Come on everyone! It's time to go!"

Angela slipped the camera in her bag and we walked side by side until we reached the bus. She handed her permission slip to our teacher and boarded the bus. When it was my turn, I handed Bella slip and mine to him. He quickly looked them over and nodded.

He lifted his head and motioned behind me. Bella was leaning against her truck and Mike was standing in front of her, and it looked like they were in the middle of a tense conversation.

"How's she doing?" Mr Molina asked.

"Okay," I replied shoving my hands into my jacket pockets.

"Good, good."

The teacher pushed me forward and I nearly tripped on the wide metallic steps of the bus. I sat behind Jessica and Angela and I placed my purse beside me. Tyler and Eric bound the bus next, then Mike. He made a beeline for me and pushed the purse out of the way.

"Why is Bella going to Jacksonville prom weekend?"

"Um, what?"

Mike leaned back in the seat and sighed. "I asked her to prom but she said she couldn't go 'cause she was going to Jacksonville."

Why would Bella say that? Was she really going to Jacksonville? And if she was, why didn't she tell me?

Mike cleared his throat, "So, um, would you like to go prom with me?"

"You've gotta be kidding me," I laughed. "Mike, you asked out my twin, only to get rejected, and then you ask me out. Are you stupid?"

"It's just," he rubbed his neck, "we kissed last summer."

"Of course we kissed. We were playing spin the bottle."

Mike's face fell. "So it didn't mean anything to you."

"No!"

Jessica and Angela spun around and they gave us a curious look. They turned back around and I lowered my voice. "Mike, did you think there was something between us?"

Silence.

Bella suddenly boarded the bus and I pushed Mike out of the seat. "We'll talk more about this later, 'kay?"

Bella walked past Mike and she plopped down beside me. Mike nodded and turned away, only to take the seat in front of Eric and Tyler.

"So," I said, catching my sister's attention, "when were you going to tell me you were going to Jacksonville?"

Bella's mouth fell open and she paled. "I didn't know what to do!" she confessed. "Mike cornered me and that was the first thing that came out of my mouth."

"Chill, Bells," I chuckled. "I'm just pulling your leg."

My sister slouched forward and looked out the window. I followed her line of sight and frowned. She was staring at Edward Cullen. All weekend, all Bella could talk about was Edward Cullen and the brave heroics he showed by saving her. And all weekend I pointed out again and again how Edward dashing across the parking lot within the blink of an eye was impossible, which in turn resulted in a screaming match, one that Dad had to break up.