04 | before the storm

WARREN: I think after that... the only time we saw Bobbie was when we played. The whole rest of the tour, she was... Well, yeah, it's not my shit to say.

KAREN: Bobbie was a wreck and she'd be the first to tell you that.

BOBBIE: Oh, I went insane. Absolutely. Sex, drugs and rock 'n roll, man. You break a beautiful woman's heart, you tend to go a little crazy with guilt. I just... wasn't the person I thought I was, so I hid. Turned myself into someone else with the drugs. You know, I coulda died. I never thought about that until I was older, until the whole thing was over. I feel like I was always waiting for someone to save me. You want your hurt to be all over your face so someone sees it and says something, but hurt doesn't do that; it demands an explanation, context. You have to talk for your wounds, not the other way around.

KAREN: I lost sight of her. For the first time in years, she wasn't there when I turned around. I was hurt by that. Back in those days, we didn't know about addiction, about mental illness. And I sure as shit didn't know Bobbie as well as I thought I did. I just figured she'd finally gotten bored.

EDDIE: I don't know why, but Bobbie listened to Billy, she seemed like she wanted to impress him or something. When Bobbie went a bit too crazy, Billy could reign her in, get her back on track. With Billy at the bottom of a bottle, well... Bobbie kinda fell off the deep end. This one show, she smashed her bass halfway through the gig and then disappeared. Billy didn't notice, or didn't care. Karen was quiet about the whole thing, but Warren never stopped with the excuses. In his eyes, it couldn't be Bobbie's fault. Nothing could. And then she hated me for telling her to get her shit together. Despite anything Bobbie says, I cared. Wasn't my fault she didn't.

BOBBIE: The only thing Eddie cared about was being the front man. I think he just wanted me on his side, thought I'd have some kind of sway with the others.

GRAHAM: It felt like we were falling apart. I was losing my brother to something I couldn't understand and it was breaking my heart. I didn't know what Bobbie was doing, all I knew was that she was doing it away from us, so it was like I'd lost her too. You get so used to always being with people, to waking up with them and going home with them that when they decide to make their own choices, bad or good, it feels like a betrayal.

BOBBIE: I don't remember the gig, I don't remember Teddy showing up and taking Billy. Shit, I didn't even know he was in rehab until a week later. I thought he was off on some bender and that... didn't concern me. Back in the day, I always thought Billy just knew how to have fun. I was high when Cami got out of hospital. I wasn't fun high, I was seeing shit I wasn't supposed to be seeing type of high. Shit, man. It was Eddie actually who took me aside and told me he wouldn't let me anywhere near the baby. Said he'd make excuses to Cami, but he didn't trust me. I thought, fuck you, it isn't your kid, Billy would've let me hold the baby high on coke. I mean, how fucked up is that? That I thought I was the one who was in the right.

Warren found Bobbie hunched over the toilet. He rushed to her side, managed to pull her hair back so she wouldn't vomit on it. Touching her hair, Warren realised she'd vomited more than once without him there as a hairnet. He ran Bobbie a bath because she could barely open her eyes and string a sentence together let alone turn a tap. He helped her out of her clothes, held her hand as she slowly sat down and lit a joint to stand guard so she wouldn't drown.

"Do you think Camila loves Billy enough to let him back once he's out of rehab? And what about Billy; does he love her enough to stop all the shit he's doing?" It was the first time Bobbie had spoken since Warren had found her

Same shit you're doing, Warren almost said and was glad he didn't. Who was he to talk? He was high now.

"I think those two love each other enough to at least try."