Chapter Three

Cin sat at the table in their private dining room, her eyes fixed on the double pinewood doors—unblinking.

The scent of the roasted, deep-fried, cold-served foods couldn't distract her. It had been a long day, and she was looking forward to spending some quiet time alone with the man she loved.

The room was lit by soft candlelight, casting a warm glow over the ornate furniture and the plush, floral-patterned rugs. The table itself was set with delicate silverware and fine crystal glasses, with an array of delectable dishes arranged in the center.

Just then, the doors creaked as they were pushed open, and Tamlin stepped into the room. Cin's heart leaped at the sight of him—his hair had grown out around his ears, enough so that he kept it tucked behind his pointed ears at all times. He was growing it out again, and she had no objections.

"Sorry I'm late," he said with a warm smile, crossing the room to plant a kiss on her forehead then take his seat beside her—not on the opposite end of the table. "I had some last-minute business to attend to."

"It's okay," she said. "I'm just glad you're here now."

"After the incident at Monarda was settled, I checked in with our border patrols," Tamlin said, his voice low and gravelly. "And I have good news—the seaport border is finally finished. I feel like we can finally take a breath. Like the court is protected by something stronger than a paper wall."

Cin laughed, her eyes sparkling with amusement. "Oh, is that all? I thought we were protected by banana leaves."

"I was gone too long. I missed your laugh," he said, his gaze fixed on her. "Even in the midst of all this chaos."

Cin felt a pang of sadness at the mention of the chaos that surrounded them. The world was changing, and with it, the fae realm. But in that moment, she pushed those thoughts aside and focused on Tamlin.

"Speaking of chaos," she said, "Cresseida is enjoying her stay. You should have seen the way those light faeries twinkled around her. She'll be sad to leave in the morning, even if she denies it."

"I have no idea how you managed to convince her to come all this way for just one day away from Summer," Tamlin rolled his eyes, the hint of the barest smile on his lips. "The Mother alone knows what the two of you talk about when no one is watching."

"Someone is always watching." Cin shrugged, finally adding food to her plate. Since the Spring Court was closed off from the outside world, Cin and Cresseida had an unspoken understanding. Cresseida agreed to keep any information she learned about the Spring Court to herself, and would only share it with Tarquin if he needed to know. Cin, in turn, extended the same courtesy to the Summer Court during her infrequent visits for "official" business.

Cin leaned across the space between them to press a kiss on Tamlin's cheek. "Tam, I want to change some of the rooms in the mansion to accommodate our guests."

Tamlin looked up from his plate, confused. "What guests? And why would they be making lodging requests?"

Cin smiled softly. "Our guests are children, they might have a few requests. I offered to take in the orphans from Orchis since they have no space there and Gale's place is overrun. Not to mention the fact that Surfinia's Orphanage hasn't even begun the reconstruction."

Tamlin's surprise was evident but not unexpected. "You offered to take in children? That's quite a responsibility, Lady Tulip."

"I know, but it's only temporary," Cin assured him. "We won't even be at the mansion for most of it, what with the procession and everything."

Tamlin was pensive for a moment then shrugged nonchalantly. "Castor could use a challenge anyway. Running after children will do the old man some good."

Cin giggled into her hand.

"Castor will once again have to earn his wage," Tamlin said, taking another sip of wine. "I'll send a letter to my friend in Calla to see if he can help us speed along the construction of the Orphanage. I don't like the idea of moving these kids around. The sooner we can get them settled permanently, the better."

Cin's brows furrowed as she tilted her head. "But isn't your friend expanding the army encampment outside of Monarda? Lord Bryony's latest report said they'd be finished just before Calanmai. They're building it big enough to accommodate the numbers you're expecting from the next yield."

Tamlin let out a groan at the mention of Calanmai, lowering his forkful of roasted meat to his plate. Cin gave him a sympathetic smile and spoke in a gentle tone, understanding the bad news he had yet to give her. "I take it you haven't found a way out of it."

"No," he admitted, sighing. "No other court submits their high lord to have his body taken over by some deity to have sex with a maiden of its choosing. It killed me to put Lucien through that and now I'm expected to do it again with someone else or do it myself."

Cin's expression softened with understanding. "I know," she said softly. "But we have to find a way to make it work. Calanmai is important to the people. It's a celebration of fertility and renewal."

"I've spoken to Eris, Kallias, and Tarquin," he said, pushing his plate away from him. "Their Calanmais are not like this. Theirs are so wrapped in their own magic, the sex isn't needed."

"We'll figure something out. Perhaps we could make it more of a symbolic gesture."

Tamlin leaned forward, propping his arm on the table and resting his face against a closed fist as he glanced over at her. "I won't go through it again. I won't be violated for the sake of everyone else. I shouldn't have to offer up my body yearly for someone to use it to satisfy their desires. I shouldn't have to choose between my body and the fertility of my Court."

Cin couldn't bear to see Tamlin suffering under the weight of tradition. She was determined to find a way out of this for him and their court.

Cin thought deeply about how they could escape the cycle of dependence. Though it wouldn't be easy, they had to try. Despite her desire to comfort him physically, she spoke gently, "We will find a way out of this, Tamlin. We still have four months to figure it out."

Cin had already begun her own research to find alternative methods for growth, knowing it was the key to their freedom. Their reliance on others for prosperity and growth meant that they were not truly free. A long and challenging road lay ahead, but it was worth it to break free from the bonds of tradition.

Cin had a plan in mind, a way to break the cycle of dependence and start a new era of freedom. She knew it was a difficult path, but necessary to take control of their destiny and chart their course.

As Tamlin listened to Cin's words, a glimmer of hope flickered in his eyes. He knew she was a force to be reckoned with, capable of finding a way out of their predicament. He took her hand in his and squeezed gently, "Thank you, Cin. I don't know what I would do without you."

Cin smiled, filled with love for Tamlin. Together, they could break free from the past and create a new future. They would take control of their destiny, and it would be glorious.