Chapter Nineteen

Cin wasn't nervous; she was excited.

Months of preparation had led to this moment—to waalk down the aisle adorned with rose petals and vine-wrapped arches. Tamlin awaited her, and soon, their love would be declared before all.

And yet, her hands trembled ever so slightly.

"Do the kids know what to do?" Cin paused in her pacing to face Cresseida.

Cresseida breathed a sigh and offered Cin a soft smile. "They practiced all week, even this morning. This isn't the part that's worrying you."

"Maybe we shouldn't have moved the wedding to Calanmai," Cin mused, her dress swishing as she paced. "What if it doesn't work?"

"It will work," Cresseida promised. "NiaMara assured us of that."

NiaMara had recently assumed the role of High Priestess at the temple on the Mansion's grounds. In just a month, she had proven on more than one occasion that she knew what was expected of her, leading the acolytes and priestesses through their prayers and rituals without complaint. She blessed every meal for the High Lord and dedicatedly taught the children their histories.

Today, she would officiate the wedding ceremony, followed by facilitating the new Calanmai Rite. To everyone's surprise, Cin had a role to play in this significant ritual.

"Everyone is seated. Are you ready?" Abina strode through the flaps.

Bron slid in behind her, "Of course, she is."

"I'm not seated," Cresseida frowned, folding her arms across her chest.

"Yeah, but you're basically part of the furniture by now," Abina laughed. Cresseida had been winnowed in two weeks before, eager to assist Abina and Cin with the final preparations.

Bron's eyes widened at the comment, and he quickly glanced at Cresseida, fearing her reaction. However, the Princess of Adriata simply laughed and swatted at Abina. More often than not, Cin found herself outnumbered by the two women she cared for most in the world.

"Come on," Abina looped her arm through Cresseida's and led her toward the flaps before calling over her shoulder to Cin. "Send Aetlani out when you're ready, and the minstrels will start."

Cin's hands snapped out, one on each woman, stopping them. "Thank you, both of you. I couldn't have made it here without you."

She meant it, not just for their help with the preparations but also for simply being there for her. Cin had voiced her concerns to them countless times, from her worries about becoming a wife to her role as Lady of Spring and her part in the Rite. She was afraid of failing and disappointing everyone who saw her as Spring's future.

Cresseida and Abina had shouldered all of Cin's fears and concerns, even enlisting NiaMara's help a few times, to ensure Cin knew how loved and appreciated she was, and that nothing she did could erase the good she had already done for the Spring Court.

"You don't need to thank us, Cin. We're here for you," Cresseida smiled.

Abina cleared her throat. "You're welcome. And as thanks, I think a raise is in order."

Cin laughed as Bron shooed them through the flaps. He turned to Cin, giving her a pointed look. She shook herself; she wasn't nervous about marrying Tamlin. Her nerves were for the Rite, but knowing Tamlin would be by her side gave her courage.

She was ready to be his wife, and then his Lady of Spring.

"Okay, Aetlani, you can start walking. Sprinkle your flowers in the aisle and then go sit next to Abina." Cin crouched in front of the little girl, speaking softly, then kissed her little face. In the three months since they'd adopted Aeson and Aetlani, the four of them had grown closer with each passing day.