Gilded Lily

The next day wasn't different, but the messages of «Good morning» and «Good night» brought back the brightness that Sergio needed to lead his life normally, because it brought him peace to know that Luka would talk to him when he is ready.

Now it's the morning of the day before the game against Bayern and Luka's good morning wasn't absent from his cell phone notifications. "Calm down, Sergio, give him time" was his first thought in the morning, he had to be focused so as not to give another disappointing game, he couldn't be neglected when they were so close to the end of LaLiga.

A new notification made his phone light up while he was undressing to take a morning shower, and he stopped what he was doing to check what it said.

<Lukita3
Can we talk before the training?

His heart jumped in his chest and he unlocked his phone as soon as he finished reading the message, choking on his syrup-flavored saliva. He knew his teammate needed time, but he didn't think that time would end that day, and now he felt his heart in his mouth. He licked his lips as he opened the chat and let his fingers type for him.

sure!!! The same place as always?? ;)<3
✔️✔️

He sent the message without caring that having the caps lock off made it less serious, or was it the smile and the heart that made it so? He bit his neglected nails while waiting for a response that took ages in his mind, although it was only a few seconds before he received a 'Yes.' He let out the air that he didn't realize he was holding. Maybe it wasn't the end of the world, maybe he shouldn't get his hopes up, maybe it was bad news, maybe he didn't have time to think when he hit his head on the shower floor from slipping.

...

A bar somewhere in Madrid, a bit far from the Santiago Bernabéu, was the usual place the team went to when they wanted to be away from cameras and fans. They were regular customers and the workers were discreet people who didn't give too much importance to who they were. That was very useful in times like this.

Sergio wore a cap and glasses to avoid being seen as he arrived and sat down to wait for Luka at one of the tables in the place. There were still 40 minutes left before the start of training and he couldn't help but move his leg anxiously.

It was 10 minutes later when Luka appeared at the door and Sergio's heart began to thump under his ears. Just seeing him come in was like his world pausing and continuing in slow motion with more color and brightness. Somehow every time he saw him, he only managed to fall more in love with him, and he stood there like a fool, watching him approach.

He stood up from his seat when Luka arrived at the table and they stood facing each other, not knowing how to start. They moved to greet each other without knowing how to do it, which ended in a horrible and awkward hug. They took a seat in the same atmosphere and Sergio began scratching his arm as a result of the discomfort.

There was a suffocating silence that Sergio didn't dare to break as he watched Luka go over in his mind what he was going to say. He tapped his finger on the table anxiously waiting for his response, feeling time consuming his brain with the sound of cars and people bustling in the city.

- "I don't want to dwell on all of this,"- the Croatian broke the cautious silence with his words, stopping to think. Whatever he was going to say, Sergio understood that it wasn't going to be good news for him.

- "I... I understand your feelings, I think I have for a while now" - and he allowed himself to be surprised that Luka never said anything even knowing his heart, even after knowing that he was always very obvious with his affection.