Chapter 13: Dearly Beloved

Many thanks to google and the internet for a little inspiration for the vows and ceremony--I've tweaked and rewritten some things I found online as inspiration. Sherlock's speech is all my own, though, and I'm rather proud of it.

*****

"Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today in the presence of these witnesses, to join Sophia Cartwright and Mycroft Holmes in matrimony, which is commended to be honorable by all; and therefore is not to be entered into unadvisedly or lightly, but reverently and solemnly. Into this holy estate these two persons present now come to be joined. If any person can show just cause why they may not be joined together, let them speak now or forever hold their peace."

Sherlock started to open his mouth from behind Mycroft and John cleared his throat from the front row where he sat. "Not today," he warned under his breath, leading the others present to chuckle quietly. Sophia giggled, Mycroft did his best to hide his eye roll, and Anthea—who'd been shocked and honored to be asked to be Sophia's maid of honor, just shook her head from where she stood behind and to the side of Sophia.

The officiant cleared his throat and raised an eyebrow at Sherlock before turning back and continuing. "To truly love, you must both enter your life together with vulnerability. To truly trust, you must, in good faith, allow for freedom and autonomy. To truly respect, you must consciously treat your partner with reverence.

Sophia and Mycroft, cherish one another. Never stop doing the small things that convey respect and trust. Hold doors, write notes, listen and strive to understand. Let kindness and tenderness be the rule, not the exception. Remember that you're both on the same team. Together you will fight demons, defeat enemies, build a life, and forge a bond that is greater than the sum of its parts.

Now, Mycroft, do you, of your own free will, take Sophia, as your lawful, wedded wife, to love, protect, and defend—as long as you both shall live?"

Mycroft, holding Sophia's hands tight, smiled, eyes glassy with tears. "I most certainly do."

"And Sophia, do you, of your own free will, take Mycroft, as your lawful, wedded husband, to love, protect, and defend—as long as you both shall live?"

Sophia smiled and gazed into Mycroft's eyes. "With my whole heart, I do."

"And now the couple will recite their vows," the registrar said.

Mycroft smiled at his soon-to-be-wife. "My dearest Sophia, I promise to respect, admire, and appreciate you for who you are and for the person you wish to become. I promise to support and protect your freedom; because although our lives are intertwined, your choices are still yours. I promise to seek a deeper understanding of your wishes, your desires, your fears, and your dreams. I promise to always strive to meet your needs—not out of obligation, but because it delights me to see you happy. I promise to be there for you whenever and wherever you need me. I will support you through misfortune and celebrate your triumphs. I promise to persevere when times get tough, knowing that any challenges we might face, we will conquer them together. I promise to treat you with compassion over fairness, because we are a team, now and for always. I promise to show you, every day, that I know exactly how lucky I am to have you in my life." He then took the ring the officiant handed him and slipped it onto Sophia's finger. "With this ring, I give myself to you, now and forever."

Sophia then took a deep breath, and through slightly tear stained eyes, smiled with all her heart to her soon-to-be-husband. "Mycroft, my love, I promise to respect, admire, and appreciate you for who you are and for the person you wish to become. I promise to support and protect your freedom; because although our lives are intertwined, your choices are still yours. I promise to seek a deeper understanding of your wishes, your desires, your fears, and your dreams. I promise to always strive to meet your needs—not out of obligation, but because it delights me to see you happy. I promise to be there for you whenever and wherever you need me. I will support you through misfortune and celebrate your triumphs. I promise to persevere when times get tough, knowing that any challenges we might face, we will conquer them together. I promise to treat you with compassion over fairness, because we are a team, now and for always. I promise to show you, every day, that I know exactly how lucky I am to have you in my life." Sophia took the ring from the officiant and slipped it onto Mycroft's finger. "With this ring, I give myself to you, now and forever."