𝟬𝟲. cold feet

CHAPTER SIX⤷ cold feet

CHAPTER SIX
cold feet

JACKIE strolled through the courtyard of the school, her eyes lighting up after seeing exactly who she was looking for. Lucas sat with his head buried in a book and his earphones plugged into his ear. Ever since the away game and her talk with Haley and Peyton, she started to get more comfortable with her feelings surrounding Lucas. She stayed on the phone talking to Nick for hours that night talking about both Lucas and Peyton, the two best friends felt nothing but confidence for the next few days.

"Hey stranger," Jackie sat across from him at the table, placing down a plastic container that held a cheese Danish, "Try it and tell me how talented I am."

"You're trying to make me fat," Lucas softly chuckled, taking out his earphones then opening up the container, carefully pulling out the pastry then taking a bite. Jackie watched his expression expectantly. He dramatically threw his head back, "Chef's kiss, you get better and better every day."

"Hi, Broody," The sound of Brooke's voice cut in."

"Hey, Cheery," Lucas looked up to greet her.

"Jessie." Brooke nodded toward Jackie.

"It's Jackie," She corrected but Brooke didn't pay her any mind as she strutted away, "Anyway," Jackie rose her eyebrows, "Please tell me you're going to be at Dan's hell fest that's coming up. My mom's new...guy friend or whatever is a friend of Dan's and she's making me go."

"Yeah right, like I'm gonna spend the night with Nathan and Dan on my Friday off? I don't think," He raised his book, "I'd rather stay home with The Great Gatsby."

"Will The Great Gatsby be in a short black dress come Friday night?" Jackie surprised herself with her confidence. Lucas quirked an eyebrow at her, "You know, I have a book recommendation for you. It's about this girl and this guy, they've got this confusing vibe going on that nobody is addressing. But, they both attend this really big annual party at the guy's big, evil dad's house."

"Really?" Lucas leaned in intrigued, "Then what happens?"

"I guess you'll just have to read it and find out."

Once Friday rolled over, Jackie excitedly got ready for Dan's party, she knew she had successfully convinced Lucas to show up. She slipped on a black, fitted satin dress with spaghetti straps that stopped a little below her knees and a slit going up the left side of the dress and topped off her look with some black heels.

Her mother knocked before letting herself in, she paused in awe admiring her daughter. In her hand, she held a gold necklace and a tube of red lipstick. Jackie turned to allow her mother to clasp the necklace onto her neck then faced her again. Marie cupped her face in her hands and glided the lipstick along her lips, "Rub it in."