Chapter 4 : Glimpse Of The Past

--- Before Y/N's Transmigration ---

The Institute for Multidimensional Travel Theory (IMTT) was a highly secretive government facility that specialized in researching and developing technology for multidimensional travel. It was located deep in the heart of a heavily guarded compound, hidden from the rest of the world.

For years, the institute had been conducting experiments on human subjects to test their theories and refine their technology. However, the results had been less than successful.
All of their test subjects were volunteers who had completely fallen into depression. The Institute had advertised for volunteers from psychiatric wards and advertised that they would be given a chance to travel to another dimension, hoping that this would give them a reason to live.

Unfortunately, this was not the case. For years, all their subjects either died or suffered mental illness not even halfway through the process. The three-step process was simple: the starting process was to make the subject relax by sedating them. The second or halfway process was to calibrate their brain and make it compatible for multidimensional travel. The last process was the multidimensional travel itself.

The government official in charge of the project was Agent Williams, a man in his early fifties. He was a stern man with a no-nonsense attitude. The scientist in charge of the multidimensional travel project was Dr. Jane, a woman in her late thirties. She was the leading expert in the field and had been working on the project for years.

Williams sat at his desk, staring at the report on his computer screen. He rubbed his temples, feeling the weight of the project on his shoulders. They had reached their limit. If another failure happened, they would no longer be able to hide the experiment from the rest of the world. He picked up the phone and dialed Dr. Jane's extension.

"Dr. Jane, we need to talk. Can you come to my office?" he said, his voice tense.

"Of course, I'll be there in a few minutes," Dr. Jane replied.

Williams sat back in his chair and waited for her arrival. When she entered the room, he motioned for her to take a seat.

"I'm afraid we've reached a critical point in the project," Williams said, his voice low.

Dr. Jane nodded. "I know. We're running out of time."

"We've only got one test subject left. Y/N. We can't afford to lose him. We need to get this right," William said, his eyes fixed on Dr. Jane.

"I understand. We'll do everything in our power to make sure this experiment is a success," Dr. Jane replied.

The next few weeks were intense. The team worked tirelessly, calibrating the equipment, and running simulations. Eventually, the day of the experiment arrived, and Y/N was prepared for the procedure as the scientists assists him for the start of the sedation process.

Meanwhile...

Dr. Jane Smith, the lead scientist from earlier, was pacing back and forth in the control room as she waited for the sedatives to kick in on the latest and last subject, Y/N.

"Dr. Jane, how much longer until Y/N is sedated?" asked Agent Williams.

"He should be asleep any minute now." replied Dr. Jane, her voice trembling slightly.

"Good. And how is the calibration process going? Are you certain about your progress since the last failure?" Agent Williams asked.

However instead of answering, Dr. Jane remained silent with a complicated expression on her face.

Seeing this, Agent Williams let out a sigh as he continued.

"We already gave you the green light for your so called solution so you better not disappoint us... Dr. Jane." Agent Williams stated.