Chapter 1

"Lincoln, pack up. We're leaving."

       "Leaving—what? Where are we going?!" His mother was already putting things into suitcases. "I don't know, but me and your father agree that anywhere is safer if it's away from that monster. Tell your sisters, Lincoln." Lincoln was scared of moving places, especially since he was terrified when his girlfriend Ronnie Anne was moving to Great Lakes City. He hated the thought of leaving everything he'd ever known behind him. He would miss Clyde, but maybe if he was lucky, he would get closer to Ronnie Anne's residence. The family got into Vanzilla, their family van, and rode off as fast as possible. It was obvious this event had bothered Rita more than anyone else. She seemed angry, but what lay beneath were feelings of fear and the instinctual urge to protect her children with all determination.

       Lynn Sr. was also anxious, but only because Rita was driving so statically on the road. She overtook cars and weaved like a snake. She believed that anywhere was safer than Royal Woods, Michigan. In fact, during the broadcast that went out that was intended to put people's minds at ease and help them cope with the horrible event that had taken place, Rita had just scoffed at it. She felt that Mayor Davis was lying through her teeth. It was disgusting, she thought, that a person with such an important job would lie constantly to "help people". She wanted to take matters into her own hands, and her children were all sitting in the back, watching their mom with trepidation.

       "...Mom? Could you turn on the radio?" Luna asked. Rita smacked the dial and it went up to full volume. The kids flinched at the initial action and trembled.

       Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away. Now it looks like they are here to stay. Oh, I believe in yesterday.

       The radio sang its song loud and proud. This song, however, was not as comforting and calm as it superficially seemed. It now became a part of their chaotic environment. Looking around outside their windows, they see many destroyed houses and people wandering the streets unaware of what to do. Homeless shelters benevolently invited people whose homes were destroyed but didn't expect quite an outcome. Hundreds of people tried to fit into the nearest shelter, and the workers had no clue what to do. Everyone was in a state of shock, desperation, and turmoil. In a time like this, the whole Loud family was distressed. That is, however, except for one sibling. Lincoln looked around at his sisters sporadically, and their faces all were terrified... but not Lucy. She was smiling like a child. "Kids, we're going to your grandparents!" shouted their dad. "It's far enough from home, and... wouldn't you guys like to see your grandparents?" His weak attempt at positivity showed the Loud siblings just how frightened their dad was. The car rattled and shook from the speed of the car. At points where the car would turn, they thought it would flip over. Their mom stayed steadfast, and their dad remained anxious.

       When the car came into the driveway of their grandparents' home, it knocked over the mailbox. The car stopped, but Rita kept her hands on the wheel. She was panting, and her face was red. Everyone got out, but she stayed. The car horn blared as her head fell onto the steering wheel to cry. They entered the house and Myrtle greeted them. Pop-Pop was there, he must've come home from the nursing home because of the dangers being nearer to that area. Lincoln and Lori sat on the couch, and all the other siblings split up into different rooms. She put her face in her hands. "Oh, GOD!" she sobbed. Myrtle heard her say this and was quick to correct her. "Now, baby, God has nothing to do with this. Don't you worry too much. The worst is over." She sat next to Lori and put her hand on her shoulder. Lori reacted immediately by squeezing her grandma with a devastated hug. Lincoln almost cried out of pure sympathy for his sister, but he was the brother. He should be the symbol of hope and bravery for his family. But... he just couldn't do it. He started to cry.

       Several of the other siblings were crying as well, and mom was still in the car, her head now taken off the horn, but probably still crying away in her seat. Later, when everyone had gotten quieter, Lincoln sat at the dinner table alone. He was ages away from hungry. He felt sick. He just wanted a place where he could be alone for a while. He closed his eyes. Suddenly, a sound of harsh clanging pierced Lincoln's silence. His eyes shot open and immediately spotted Lucy. "Lucy, what are you doing?" He almost felt too drained to ask. "Looking for a fork." He sighed. His sister, even in this time of grief, remained as weird as ever.

"Why do you need a fork, Lucy?"

"I'm hungry."

"You're hungry at a time like this? When everyone is so upset?"

     His tone indicated slight anger, but he was too upset to shout. "I'm just happy we're safe." He scoffed. "Yeah right," Lincoln thought. She's into death; is she entertained by the fact that half our town's homes were destroyed?" His weariness began to pulse with adrenaline, as the pure rage flooded his system. "Lucy, are you fucking kidding me? You're HAPPY? AFTER ALL THAT?" Lucy's smile changed into a frown. "Lincoln...?" she tonelessly asked. "WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? WHY CAN'T YOU JUST BE NORMAL FOR ONCE? DO YOU NOT CARE ABOUT YOUR FAMILY? YOU'RE FINE WITH THE HUNDREDS - NO, THOUSANDS - THAT HAVE DIED?! WHY? ARE YOU KIDDING ME, LUCY?" Lucy stood there stunned, and the fork dropped from her hands. From under her black bangs, slowly slithered a tear.

       Lincoln felt guilty and knew he may have gone too far, driven by his emotions. "Lucy, listen, I'm sorry. I didn't mean what I said. I love you, I really-" But before he could finish, Lucy ran to the door and rushed outside. Lincoln took a deep breath and continued sulking. Lucy, with several more tears sliding down her face, continued running under the grey sky that rained upon her. Her clothes were soaking wet, and she wept under her breath. She spotted a man holding a hose, but he looked up at the rain falling, dropped the hose on the grass, and went back inside his home. Lucy looked at the hose and thoughts went from blank to completely overactive.