12 (rewritten)

Chapter 12

They were stranded by weather for two weeks and Theodora was driving Babette nuts with her cabin fever. It was almost Halloween and Babs felt like she was living in a horror movie. They were staying on a farm somewhere near the Ohio-Indiana border after they were forced to take a more southern route between Pittsburgh and Akron. The bitterly cold air and blowing snow finally moved on. There were many uninfected people in the farm country and Theodora insisted on interviewing many of them. She told Babs that the in-person interviews were just as important as the personal experiences gleaned from social media.

The Mennonite Farmers all admitted to canning their own foods and such, but revealed the wife of the cousin who lived in the house had grown up in the city and could barely boil water when it came to cooking. Her lack of skills that the majority of the local women had possessed from a very young age; meant she had killed her family by feeding them pre-packaged meals. The family here had died and been cremated except for the infant who was too small to eat baby food and only consumed raw milk from the family cow. When they got sick, an aunt took the baby and it was a good thing because within a week, they were dead and had eaten several of the pigs being raised for slaughter.

The farming community was very interested in the information Theodora and Babs knew about the zombie-causing infection, but Babs was glad to be leaving. Three young men in particular kept coming over. After the first time, Theodora made Babs put on her wedding ring and repeatedly lied that Babs was engaged to her grandson Lionel.

"Are we ready to go?" Theodora demanded impatiently and Babs knew she wanted to be on the road again.

"Why don't we do as they suggest and go to Norfolk?" She hoped that they could just backtrack and be done with this trip. She was tired of waking up with a stuffed nose and the feeling of cat fur in her throat. Even her HEPA filters didn't seem to help after Wolfman shed all over her bedding. She was convinced that she was going to start having hairballs of her own soon.

"My boys aren't at Norfolk and the Admiral of the Atlantic Fleet did not listen to Admiral Lansing about the food and they are probably all undead," Theodora announced, then ordered more than asked, "Can you start carrying the cats out?"

Swallowing her groan, Babs sniffed and wiped her dripping nose on her sleeve. She had given up on wearing a mask, and began dosing herself with antihistamines until she just didn't care how dazed she felt as long as she wasn't sneezing constantly. Picking up the two cats closest to the door, she walked out to the recreational vehicle and put them inside. Continuing to carry the cats out in pairs down the icy sidewalk, she had this strange recollection of Noah's ark. She was grateful that cats were the only animals they were traveling with. One of their farmer neighbors had offered them a goat or two to take on the road with them so the cats could have fresh milk, and several chickens for eggs. Babs seriously considered accepting the chickens but she was worried they would become stranded somewhere and she would have to abandon them.

"Hullo!" a voice called out to her over the sound of a four-wheeler.

"Hi, Jacob." Babs waved back then trekked back to the house to get another pair of cats.

She thought she had all as she picked the last three and left King, but she had lost count. She put the trio in, and started the motor and heater, then started the panel truck to warm up too. She plugged in one of the portable HEPA filter fans. He stopped by the truck and offered her a pet carrier with a clear top. Inside were three fluffy gray chickens. They were half the size of the chickens the neighbors had kindly stocked the house's chicken coop with.

"What are these?" She asked in surprise.

"The night you made that buckwheat noodle soup, I noticed you put an egg in yours. You said it was your favorite way to eat ramen and soba, so since you can't take full grown chickens on the road. I traded for some blue bantam cochins," Jacob smiled at her then rubbed over his heart. "Look, I know my brother and cousin can be overbearing but if... if you don't find your fiancé or if he didn't make it... I would like for you to come back. I promise I can give you a good life here. I'll even give up bread."