Decisions

"My parents sat down and had a talk with Dex and me last night."

Sophie and Biana were sitting on Biana's bed. It was almost mid-term time, and though they were studying hard, they weren't quite as inundated with work as Fitz and Keefe. So today, they were taking a break from studying.

"Really?" Sophie asked. "I mean, they've known about you two for a while, right?"

"Oh, yeah. And they told me immediately that they liked Dex and they know he's a really great guy. But I hadn't actually told them that we weren't sure about registering for the match. So then the other day they brought me my packet and wanted to know why I hadn't filled it out yet. I told them I didn't think I was going to bother with it."

Sophie winced. "How did they take it?"

"Not as bad as I'd hoped. They were surprised but told me they needed time to think about what I'd said before we discussed it further."

"So then last night?"

"Yep. We already had plans for Dex to come for dinner. After we ate, they said they had something they wanted to talk to us about."

Sophie sat, listening intently. Biana seemed conflicted, but not terribly upset.

"They've asked us both to register, just to see. Dad told me that it's almost certain that we would wind up on each other's lists—we aren't related, we both manifested and we are clearly compatible. And then we wouldn't have to deal with any stigma of being branded a bad match."

"And if you didn't wind up being on each other's lists?"

"That's what Dex asked too." Her eyes shone for a moment. "He's so steady, so strong. My parents just said that if we didn't end up being matched, then we would have a hard choice to make.  And do you know what Dex said?"

Sophie smiled. "What did Dex say?"

"He said that there was no choice to be made. That he would choose me with or without a good match."

Sophie grinned. "I would have expected no less from him."

"But you know what? My parents said that if it came to that, they would support us. They just want us to avoid controversy and stigma if at all possible."

"So what are you guys thinking?"

"We agreed to talk about it and think about it. Do we register just to see if we can avoid trouble? Because that makes sense to me. We've had enough trouble in our young lives already. And Dex knows firsthand how hard it can be to grow up with your parents being branded a bad match. It could make things harder for our kids. But then, it also makes sense to just refuse to even register, on principle. Give no credence to the system by registering. Take a stand, even if it's hard."

Sophie sighed. "That is a hard one."

Biana grabbed her hand. "What would you do?"

"I am so not the person to ask. I wasn't sure how I felt about it either, but the moment I realized Fitz was interested, I rushed off to the matchmakers. Of course, that didn't work out."

Biana grinned. "Actually I think in the end it worked out very well."

Sophie laughed. "Things worked out for me, yes. Just not with the matchmaking system. What does Dex say about it?"

"He didn't know what to think either. He was going to talk to his parents today I think."

"Well, either way you choose, you will have my support. All of us, really. I don't think there's a right or wrong choice here, it's just deciding which way you want to go. The important thing is that you both want to face it together."

Biana hugged Sophie tightly. "I thought about asking Dex to be here when I told you, but I knew he wanted to talk to his parents so I think he's home doing that right now."

"I think you have a lot of thinking to do. When I leave here I might go see Dex, though. I want to tell him the same thing I told you."

Biana looked at the time. "Slurps and Burps is probably closed now so I bet he's at home."

A few minutes later, Sophie found herself at Rimeshire. The triplets were, of course, causing chaos, though as they got older their chaos was less destructive.

Rex's situation also continued to cause strain between him and his siblings.

He technically still had time to manifest, but Sophie and Dex (and Juline and Kesler, whom Keefe agreed they could tell) were fairly confident that he wouldn't.

But today, Sophie wasn't there to talk about Rex. She was there to talk about Biana and matchmaking.

She found Dex hiding from his siblings' craziness in his room, as usual.

He smiled brightly when he opened his door and found her standing there. He let her in and shut the door behind him, though the triplets were currently running off some energy outside.

"Biana talked to me this afternoon," Sophie began.

Dex nodded. "She said she was going to. I talked with my parents as soon as I got home today." He looked conflicted. "What do you think we should do?"

Sophie shrugged. "I think either option has its merits. Really I just came to tell you that you'll have all of our support no matter what you choose. But the decision lies with you and Biana and no one else."

Dex smiled. "Thank you for that. She really amazes me. I never would've thought that a Vacker would even consider not registering for the match, but..." Dex blushed slightly as he continued "but she says she's fine with whatever I think is best, just as long as she gets to be with me." Dex looked like he could hardly even believe his own words.

He knew his family was every bit as good as the Vacker family, but he had spent his whole life with society trying to make them feel otherwise.

Sophie grinned. "I love the way you two talk about each other. And the way you both get this sentimental look in your eyes. It's so cute."

Dex laughed. "I feel like I could talk about her forever. It's funny, you and Keefe are different. I was hanging out with him the other day and he would just randomly get quiet sometimes. It's like, little things will remind him of you and he'll get distracted thinking about you. I swear at one point I thought he was just going to disappear and show up at Havenfield looking for you."

It was Sophie's turn to blush. "Crazy how life works out, isn't it? But we're not here to talk about me or about Keefe. So what did your parents say?"

"They said they understood what Alden and Della were saying. If we can avoid scandal, wouldn't that be better? And even if we register and are a good match, we can still raise a family that knows we would have been together with or without the so-called good match. Our kids can know that we would've married regardless."

Sophie smiled at how easily he mentioned marriage and children. Clearly, he and Biana had already talked about it.

"But," Dex continued. "I still wonder if we should even take part in it. The system is so messed up. And I wonder if it would set a good example for Rex. We want our world to change. To care less about talents and stop looking down on the talentless. The matchmaking system is a huge part of that. Wouldn't it be more encouraging to him, as he gets older and has to come to terms with being talentless, if his big brother is rejecting the system?"

"I hadn't thought about it from that perspective." Sophie admired Dex for his thoughtfulness.

"Yeah. But also...I love my siblings. But I love Biana too. And I know she says she will follow my lead in this, but if I'm going to marry her someday, then she becomes my number one priority. Even above my family. Shouldn't I choose the path that is easiest for her?"

"I understand what you're saying. But don't underestimate Biana. I think the easiest for her is just to be with you—with or without the status."

Dex nodded thoughtfully. "So much to consider."

"I'll leave you to it. But I'm here if either of you need to talk through it some more, okay?"

Dex smiled warmly. "Thanks. For everything."