Beginning

Beginning

I was in Grade 5 when I started having a crush on Noah Elizalde. He was the brother of my classmate, Reina. I couldn't thank all the saints enough for sending Reina into my life; I get to play inside their house every weekend where I could freely ogle at her brother's face and fantasize about him without getting noticed.

"Coreen, this Barbie doll is you. This one is me. Let's call her Wendy," said Reina, who loved imagining we were Barbie dolls, cooking inside their big doll house.

I didn't say anything because I was busy watching Noah playing his guitar in their living room with his other friends. He had a faraway look in his eyes, his mouth ajar, listening to the sound of his strumming.

"Coreen!" Reina called me again when she noticed I wasn't paying attention.

Noah Elizalde is a year older than me and Reina. He was in Grade 6. He was a popular guy in our school not only because he was good- looking and rich, but also because he was very talented—he can play the guitar well.

I'd often daydream about him serenading me in front of our house. Just the thought of him smiling and looking up my window made me really happy.

"Dude, I'll go home first," said Bench, Noah's friend and neighbor.

Reina froze when she heard Bench, her long-time secret crush, was leaving.

"What? Okay..." said Noah as Bench scratched his head. "Why are you leaving?" Yñigo asked.

"Let's play first!" said Stan.

"My cousin just arrived," said Bench.

"Who's your cousin?" Warren asked, curious.

"Eliana..." Bench grinned.

I saw how Noah's eyes opened wide upon hearing Bench mention of her name.

"From the province? Who's she with?" Noah asked, his eyes sparkling.

"Our helper, Uncle, and Muse..." answered Bench.

I can be very naïve at times, but I felt like I knew everything there was to know when it came to Noah. I knew how to read people's reactions, and I could tell if they liked someone. And no, Noah wasn't interested in Eliana Jimenez, Bench's cousin. He was interested in someone else.

***

Muse was watering the plants at the Jimenezes' house, which was conveniently located in front of Reina's house, so she could easily go back and forth. Muse worked as a helper for Bench's family. She often visited Reina when Eliana was there. I think we're of the same age so we got along well.

"Hi!" I grinned as I approached her.

"Hello," Muse grinned back.

She was very pretty. The kind that was pretty even without makeup. Her lips and cheeks were rosy. Her hair had a natural bounce. Her skin was so white and flawless. Her name really suited her—Muse—and Noah was interested in her.

"I'm Coreen," I introduced myself. Muse nodded in response and extended her hand.

I was surprised by how formal she was with me. I wondered if she shook hands with Noah, too. I reached out for her hand. It was soft.

"I'm Muse." She smiled.

I couldn't ask her outright what she liked in a guy to know if Noah stood a chance. But who was I kidding? Only dumb girls wouldn't fall for Noah.

"I'm a friend of Reina and Noah Elizalde," I said and pointed at the Elizaldes' house across the street.

"Ah... Noah!" She giggled as if there was something I didn't know.

"Why? What's with Noah?" My brows furrowed with curiosity when I noticed her cheeks turn red.

I felt my blood shoot up. I wanted to slap her. I was so furious. Someone stop me!

And someone did. Someone reached for my arms. I looked over my shoulder to see who it was and saw Reina's older brother, Rozen. He looked serious as he gazed upon Muse who was looking at both of us.

"Coreen, what are you doing?" he asked curiously.

"What?" I responded angrily.

"Why are you being nice to her?" he asked then turned to Muse. "What?"

Actually, Rozen, I'm not being nice to her. This is research for my own peace of mind.

"You don't make friends with people like her," he said.

"Why? Because she's just a maid?" asked a familiar voice from behind us.

My heart ached as I slowly looked at where the voice was coming from. I saw the anger in his eyes. From the man I had always loved.

"Don't be so judgmental," Noah told his older brother.

Oh, damn! Now, he's angry. Noah stepped in between me and Muse. Muse took a step back.

"I'm not being judgmental, Noah. Coreen should just stay at home and play with Reina. She shouldn't be making friends with someone like her," Rozen defended himself. He sounded furious, too.

"What's wrong with Muse? She's a good girl!"

Oh, damn... Of course, he was defending her. I broke free from Rozen's hold.

"I agree!" I supported Noah to gain his approval. Rozen was shocked.

"Muse is a good girl. What's wrong with making friends with her, Rozen? I'm naturally friendly. Don't tell me who to be friends with."

Rozen squinted at me, and I averted my face from his gaze. "You're a liar," he accused me.

"I'm not lying!" I yelled back at him, feeling nervous. He sighed heavily and offered his hand.

"Let's go, Coreen Samantha," he ordered me.

"No!" I refused loudly. "I'm staying with Noah!" I looked back and saw Noah talking to Muse, who was now crying.

"Are you okay?" Noah asked her.

Wait a minute. Why is she even crying? I wasn't even picking a fight with her. Rozen didn't do anything bad. How confusing!

Noah wiped Muse's tears with his thumb. She held his hand in return.

"You're so mean, Coreen," I heard Noah finally say as he turned his back on me.

My heart sank. It hurt. So instead of watching the two of them walk away, my eyes turned to Rozen who was still standing there. He winked and stared at me closely as he offered his hand.

"Come with me."

I would rather be "in between" than be with the one I don't love. Instead of choosing between the two of them, I ran back to the house and hugged Reina.