Chapter 3

Chapter 3
WHY SO HEARTLESS?

"Coreen, what happened to your date with Noah?" Reina asked while she was watching Miguel walking along the corridor.

"Nothing," I said flatly and stared at her.

She was drooling over her crush. I won't be surprised if this time tomorrow, she has a new crush.

"I heard that Rozen was your date," she said as I filled out a page in her slambook.

"No, I went home," I said.

"Yes, because Noah had a date, right? So, my brother Rozen came to your rescue?" asked Reina.

Was that how he wanted this story to play out? That I was rescued by Rozen because Noah had another date?

I looked at the corridor, and from afar, I saw Noah surrounded by Stan, Warren, and Joey. He was carrying his guitar on his back, laughing with the rest of the band. I saw girls looking at them.

I kept my mouth shut and tried to control myself. I had wanted to confess my feelings to Noah during prom. I didn't want to beat around the bush. I really thought he was the one who had asked me out. When I found out the truth, I decided to put a stop to this fantasy of mine.

I wanted to talk to him. I needed to tell him I love him. I slammed Reina's slambook close and stood to leave.

"Coreen?" Reina was surprised by my outburst.

"Just a sec, Reina," I told her and made my way to Noah. He seemed puzzled when he saw me walking up to him. He smirked as I approached. They all looked bewildered as I tried to block their way.

I mustered all the strength I had.

I had waited long enough for this. There was no turning back. "Noah, can I talk to you?"

His brows furrowed. He looked at his bandmates.

"Sure. What is it?" he asked.

I looked at everyone. They were expecting me to say what I needed to say in front of them.

"Alone?" I asked.

He shrugged and looked at his bandmates again. I turned my back to him and went straight to the locker room. No one was inside so I brought Noah there so we could talk. My heart was beating like crazy. I couldn't even walk straight. I was so nervous. I could sense that he was following me.

"Is this important, Coreen?" He sounded unamused, which made me even more nervous.

"Ah...You see..." I stuttered. Only Noah could make me feel this way. I swept the loose strands of hair away from my face and tucked them behind my ear as I looked at him straight in the eyes. He was standing a meter away from me. His lips parted as he stared at me. I studied his face—his deep-set eyes, his pointed nose, his thin and pinkish lips. All my life, he was the one.

"Noah, about the prom... I thought you had asked me to go with you to prom," I said.

He shook his head. "I went with Trisha. Why would I ask you out?"

My mouth went dry, but I went on. "There was a letter... It was signed 'Elizalde,' and you were looking at me. I thought it was from you..."

"That's not my style, Coreen. Tss," he snapped.

"I... I know... But I... expected..." I bowed my head in embarrassment.

There was complete silence. I just heard him shift his guitar to his other shoulder.

"Noah, I like you..." I swallowed hard after blurting that out. I didn't look at him. I couldn't. I almost passed out in front of him. If I tried to look at him again, I just might.