Chapter 8 - Kairos

Breakfast was a hurried meal of thick homemade bread spread with honey washed down by even thicker, black coffee.

I didn't know if Silas was on the up and up, but he made a mean pot of hot bean water so he was elevated just slightly higher in my books.

The ride to the ferry was quiet, Silas drove us in his truck. I was in the middle with Sorin in the passenger seat, and I couldn't help but notice how he stiffened up when Silas climbed in beside me. He even put his arm on the seat back behind me. He was the possessive type, not my usual thing, but as a wolf I supposed I could expect it.

As long as he didn't lift his leg and mark his territory by squirting me with piss, we'd be okay.

"I'll take care of her, I promise you this, Kairos Empire," Silas said when we parted ways. Only he and I knew what he was talking about, but having him give me this vow again eased my fears that he'd take advantage of Eva's generous spirit. Selkies were bound by the laws of magic, even more so than humans. Humans were slippery creatures who could often talk their way out of sacred bonds (except in my case, but guardians weren't always exactly one hundred percent human), but selkies were in that category where they'd pledged themselves to the higher purpose years before human beings had discovered agriculture even. When we were grubbing in the dirt and selkies had kingdoms along several coasts, half in and half out of the water.

Humans had discovered agriculture, and then discovered weaponized warfare, and the magic world on Earth was pushed to the edges in order to survive. As a species, human beings weren't exactly my Tori Amos philosophy of peace, love, and a hard cock, or anything. They were more about interpersonal violence and taking what they wanted, no matter who they hurt in the process.

And that's why demons loved them. That's why they took any and every advantage they could to dive into a human skin suit and spread chaos and darkness. Humans were best when they loved and cared for each other, but demons always found a way to sow discord and spread us apart. It seemed like humanity's default setting was greed, and ignorance grew inside of the darkest hearts like mildew in the corners, unnoticed until it crept into the atmosphere and spread.

"I'll hold you to that," I told him, looking fiercely into his eyes. "I'll add you to my list like Arya Stark if you don't hold yourself to that promise. I'll get you one day if you fuck her over."

"Stick me with the pointy end, hey?" he grinned.

So Selkies had bank cards, trucks, and apparently watched Game of Thrones. Duly noted.

"You bet," I smiled, looking behind me where Sorin waited impatiently as we made our goodbyes.

"He's a good man," Silas said, catching my eyes. "Or wolf, either way he's got a good heart. You're paired up well, you know. You might not see it now, but you two fit well together."

"Like you know anything about us," I scoffed, looking at him.

He tapped his temple with his forefinger and said, "Us Selkies have the sight. We pick up on things you've never heard of."

"You drink and know things?" I said, flashing a smile.

"I don't drink, but same energy," he laughed.

I finally and reluctantly left him standing next to his truck and walked to Sorin. Reluctant simply because it meant all of this was real. Not Sorin, I knew that part was real, but the fact that I had to face my demons in the most literal sense of the word. The demons I'd unleashed into the world because of my shitty choices and running away. I had to face them one by one and rid the Earth of the plague I'd brought forth.

"I got our tickets when you were saying goodbye," Sorin said, picking up my overstuffed duffel bag along with his own traveler's backpack.

"We never have, in case you were wondering," I said, suddenly needing to clarify to him about Silas and me.

"I wasn't asking," he replied, and we started towards the berth where the ferry was settling in to load up the first trip of the day.

"I just wanted you to know. I thought it was important."

"Thank you," he replied, and I found my next step taking me closer to him so we walked together with our arms touching from time to time, reminding me that I wasn't alone.

"Thank you for coming with me," I said, admitting it at last. I could still taste the sensation of charcoal in my mouth and feel the slick sooty smoke choking my throat.

"I wouldn't have it any other way," he said, looking down at me with a grin. "My heart."

I laughed, rolling my eyes, but felt better for it.

I was glad he was with me.

I just hoped I didn't fuck things up and hurt him even harder than I already had.