Chapter 17 - Kairos

Missy was a no show in the morning. We got up early, had showers, grabbed a quick breakfast, and then waited for her. The restaurant was already open when we got there, so we took the same booth from the day before and ordered coffee until it got awkward with us hanging around so long.

"The witch isn't coming," Sorin said at last. He hadn't really spoken much, mostly just to answer me with short replies or to ask questions in order to prompt me to talk.

The night before had been strange. I'd been ready to go, ready to have sex with him because my spell worked too well. He became just a piece of hot man meat, yes I said what I said, and I could have fucked him with no strings attached. I'd eliminated that zapping sensation from our bond, and it would have been purely physical.

Only it wasn't. There couldn't be any way for us to get into bed with each other, get naked and sweaty and have meaningless sex. So I'd panicked. I'm not proud, I jerked him off, wanted him more than anybody I'd ever been with, but I'd panicked.

He'd growled, too, that was a surprise. At times his voice took on this deep timbre quality that was so fucking hot, I could hardly handle it. And when he growled, my god, it was crazy how stupid I got.

But I panicked in the end and fucked it up once again. He wasn't too weird about it, though, to his credit. Maybe the elimination of our bonds had helped on that front.

"I don't know what we should do," I said. "I forgot to get her number or find out where she lives."

"She's not coming back. She probably lied about the Society. Wood witches can't be trusted."

"So you keep saying," I replied. "Well, we've got to do something. That waitress is starting to hate us every time we ask for a refill and I think I could piss another Fraser River if we keep up like this."

He grinned and nodded. "Yes, it is a lot of coffee."

Then he looked down, seemed irritated, and nodded. He looked at me again and said, "How about a poutine before we go?"

I laughed. "Sure thing, I'll even pay for it."

Luckily I had that hundred from the day before. Empire magic.

We ordered two along with double burgers and I realized I had another kind of kink. I loved watching the way Sorin ate his food, with his whole heart. I loved how his tongue and lips looked and I wondered how they'd feel on me.

"You look like a wolf yourself right now," he said at one point, looking up to catch me staring.

"What can I say? I loved a good show," I laughed and reached across the table to wipe a smudge of gravy off his chin. He caught my hand and pulled the tip of my finger into his mouth and sucked. He let go and I fucking swear to goddess, if I wasn't in the middle of a battle with my sister demon and all her little demon warriors, I would have dragged him into the bathroom right then and there and fucked the Empire bond right back into his sexy body.

But I was, so I couldn't. I pulled my finger back and let the image of us together fade into the background as we finished our meal.

Afterwards, we walked for a while up and down the streets. I think I was half hoping to see the demon again because I was prepared this time. I couldn't use my magic out in the open on the streets, but that's essentially why it taunted me like that.

But I had been thinking of a little spell I'd learned as a girl, one that helped me capture butterflies and honeybees during my component on speaking with the animals. My mother had always insisted on starting small, then working up to larger things like dogs and deer. I'd never progressed much farther than bugs and a few birds, but I still remembered the words and the motions.