Choices

At the first hint of warmth and light that hit her face, Hikari seemed to have easily woken up. She was practically laid against a pillow of leafs while the young girl, Rin, cuddled up warmly against her stomach.

"Mm...morning already...?" She whispered to herself, fluttering her eyes open. She glanced around the camp briefly before sitting up on the ground, causing Rin to moan uncomfortably as her sleep was disturbed. "It's so early..." she mumbled, rubbing her eyes and filling her face with pouts.

"Come on, little girl." Hikari pushed herself from the ground and helped Rin up. She noticed that Sesshomaru wasn't around and Jaken was still asleep and somewhat snoring. "Come, let's go get cleaned up in the river." Hikari suggested, placing her hands on Rin's shoulder and guiding the young girl back to the river they were in last night.

"Hmmm..." Rin grumbled as she practically dragged her feet across the dirt, still half asleep. "Come on, now, Rin..." Hikari stroked her along her shoulders to waken her up.

Eventually, the two girls made it back to the river. Hikari walked up to the shallow water and dipped her feet. "Oo! It's cold...but it's going to be so nice for the rest of the day to keep cool." She told herself and glanced over at Rin. "Come, let's get cleaned up!"

"Okay okay." Rin rubbed her eyes, still tired but removed her kimono going into the water.

"Make sure to get very clean, I'll help you with your hair." Hikari remained dressed, sat Rin by the shallow area around her feet and began to help her wash her hair. "There's no shampoo or conditioner here...but this will have to do..." she muttered under her breath as she poured water over Rin's head, rinsing her hair.

"Huh?" The little girl questioned. "Shampoo? Conditioner? What are those? I've never heard those words before." Rin asked.

"Oh!" Hikari softly chuckled, "Those are what we use to clean and wash our hair back where I live. They really help." She explained, rubbing her fingers through Rin's scalp, continuing to wash her roots and any dust, dirt and little twigs that were in her hair.

"Is there any here?" Rin asked.

"Unfortunately, no. Maybe I'll bring back some next time..." Hikari thought out loud to herself.

"Bring back? From where you live?" The little girl asked again.

"Yeah...I live very very far away and well...we have things this place doesn't have, same as this place has things we don't have over there." Hikari explained, placing a hand on Rin's shoulder. "I don't know when I'll be able to go back..." she muttered softly. "Hopefully soon..."

"Huh?" Rin suddenly stood up and turned around, looking up at Hikari. "What? Will you leave us?" She asked, sadness in her eyes.

Hikari was slightly taken back by that. They had only known each other for mere hours...how could she be attached so quickly? "I...I don't know, maybe?" Hikari mumbled, rambling with her thoughts. "I— I don't live here, Rin...this is not my world...my world is far away from here." She tried to explain the best she could to an eight year old.

"But..." Rin sighed, her face heavily pouting. "Can I come? Can I come see your village? Maybe...maybe Lord Sesshomaru can come as well."

At the thought of that, the hairs on the back of her neck raised. "No!" She exclaimed rather quickly, making the girl flinch. "I mean. No, no no no...that wor— village, is not for you and most definitely NOT for Sesshomaru."

Rin let out a heavy sigh and finished rinsing off, stepping out of the water and shaking herself off like a little dog. "Consider staying with us, Hikari...we travel everywhere—so many places you can see!" Rin said, her excitement almost flaring up.