Chapter 8

Veronica's looking at me with an excited expression on her face, her fists clenched by her sides, as she moves her shoulders up and down.

"Well? How'd it go with Jimmy?"

I frown at her.

"Why are you pouting?" she asks me.

"You don't want to know."

She rubs at my shoulder and gives me a sympathetic look. "Ugh, I'm sorry Rem. Rejection is never easy."

"No, Veronica. It didn't even get up to that point."

"Wait, what? I'm confused. Please explain."

"Brooks. Motherfuckin'. Caldwell."

"Not again."

"It's like he's purposely trying to torture me."

Veronica raises her eyes. "Or he's simply jealous."

I look at her like she's out of her mind. "Negative. Brooks Caldwell doesn't get jealous. He's too vain."

"Exactly."

"Okay, now you've lost me."

"Brooks Caldwell doesn't know what it's like to not get attention from a girl. You give him," she makes a '0' with her fingers, "zero. Zilch. Nada."

"Trust me, Veronica, Brooks can care less whether or not I give him attention."

"No," she shakes her head, "you trust me, Rem. He cares. He cares more than you think."

***

Come Monday, Gale has me working the outdoors while Veronica covers the inside of the restaurant. As much as I love being on the beach, my skin does not. Even though I'm one shade darker than fair skin, I'm still extremely sensitive to the sun. Not to mention the fact that I'm working up a major sweat trekking back and forth from the kitchen to the beach to fetch people their orders.

"Here you go, Mr. Jensen. Your turkey club sandwich and an iced tea," I say to the elderly man who's been a member of Meadows since before I was born. Apparently, he owns major real estate all around the world, so it makes sense that he can afford the $100K membership every year.

"Thank you, Remi," he smiles, taking the food from my grip. "And you'll charge it to my account, right?"

"Already did," I smile.

"Fabulous. Thank you, dear."

I'm grasping the silver tray in between my shoulder and waist when I hear:

"Yo, Red!"

I stop in place, closing my eyes shut and forcing my body around, to find Brooks laying shirtless on a lounge chair wearing black swim trunks, a backwards black hat, and a pair of black Dolce and Gabbana black square-shaped sunglasses. He's smirking at me, his hands resting behind his head, but I can't say that I'm responding the same way.

"Come over here for a sec," he says, and I cross my arms.

"Nah, I'm good over here," I state, rejecting his command. "What do you want?"

"You closer."

"Brooks, it's borderline 95 degrees out. I've been up since 7 am. And I'm tired. Don't test me."

"God, I love it when you're feisty."

I give him an eye roll and begin to get on my way, but that doesn't work because he's still talking to me like I'm not trying to avoid him.

"Red, anyone ever teach you customer service?"

"Anyone ever teach you etiquette?"

He starts laughing, but I'm glaring. "If you want me to treat you nicely, all you gotta do is ask. I thought you'd prefer someone rougher around the edges."

"I'd prefer a lot of things that you aren't."

"Tell me what they are, baby, and I'll change my ways for you."

"Brooks," I huff, "I'm not in the mood. So, if you're not going to order something, then I'm le-"

"Who said I wasn't ordering something?"

"Okay, fine." I reach for the notepad and pen in the front pocket of my apron. "What do you want?"

"Depends. What are you offering me?"

"As if you don't already know the lunch menu by heart."

"Wasn't referring to the lunch menu."

I scowl at him because I'm at my breaking point. "How about a drink in your face?"

"See," he picks his back up from the lounge chair as his abs crunch together, "knew you liked it rough."

"You know shit. But while we're on the topic of things I like, how about for you to get lost?"

"You always lie?" he asks as he squints his blue eyes at me. It doesn't matter how small he makes them, they'll shine bright no matter what.

Brooks sees that I'm fuming, so he starts chuckling with his hands up. "Kidding, Red!"

"Everything okay over here?" Gale asks, approaching from behind.

Shit.

"Dandy," Brooks remarks and I must have some sort of pleading look on my face because he immediately stands up and wraps his arm around my shoulders. "Remi, here, is a very hard worker. You know," he says, looking at Gale, "she might even deserve a raise."

I fake smile at Brooks when he tilts his head down to look at me, his arm still wrapped around my shoulders, and Gale looks on skeptically before smiling hesitantly.

Once she walks away, I punch Brooks in the side with my fist.

"Ow, what the hell was that for, Red?" he asks, rubbing at the spot. "I just saved your ass. You should be thanking me." He grabs my waist and pulls me into his body. It's warm from being in the sun all day. "Maybe with a kiss."

"How about with a slap across the face?" I growl, shoving him away.

He grins at me, wagging his finger. "Yup, like I said, likes it rough."