Chapter 42

Bella's using Nico's guest pass at Meadows today – not that she really needs it because everyone knows she's Nico's girlfriend, and that automatically gives her an in.

She's been pretending to work out in the fitness center, but really, she's just here to chill with me. Jill's out today on vacation with her family, so I allow myself more free time than usual.

"How does this thing work?" Bella asks as she steers the elliptical back and forth.

"Exactly how you're doing it," I tell her, but she hops off. "That's it? You're done?"

"I'm tired, Rem," she huffs, grabbing ahold of her hips. "That was exhausting."

"B, you were on it for like 15 seconds. You should see the way Brooks runs on the treadmill. You'd freak."

"How do you work here and not get turned on by him? If that were Nico, I can't promise you that I'd keep it professional."

"Who says I do?" I wink.

"Naughty girl," she wags her finger at me and teases.

"Speaking of Brooks, have you seen him today? He usually stops by in the morning and drops off coffee, but he was a no-show and hasn't been answering my texts. I know that he and Nico went to Wade's party last night, but I haven't spoken to him since they were on their way there."

"I haven't spoken to Nico since then either. And now that I'm thinking about it, that's weird for us, too."

I look at Bella nervously. "You think they got home, okay?"

"Yeah, I track Nico's phone," she says, but I raise an eyebrow at her, so she feels the need to justify. "Give your relationship one more month and you'll be doing the same thing."

"So, he's home right now?"

"He was last night at like 2 AM. Let me check now." She whips out her phone and starts typing on the keyboard. "Hmm, looks like they're at Brooks'."

I give her a puzzled look. "I wonder what they're doing there."

"Maybe Nico went to pick Brooks up before coming here?"

"Yeah, maybe," I say, not really knowing what to believe.

"I'll text Nico now and ask him what his status is. Why don't you do the same with Brooks? Maybe they'll get the hint that if their girlfriends are texting them at the same time it means they're together talking about the fact that their boyfriends haven't called them yet and that they probably should."

"Good idea," I tell her before texting Brooks, "What's up?"

I soon get distracted when the fitness center phone rings. I round the desk to answer it, but before I do, Bella calls out, "I'm heading out. Keep me posted on Brooks and I'll let you know when I hear from Nico."

"Okay, I will," I say before answering the landline.

I don't hear much from Bella for the rest of the day, which concerns me. Brooks hasn't answered me either, which concerns me even more.

I'm on the verge of calling Bella when she beats me to it.

"Okay, now I'm starting to panic. Please tell me you've heard from Nico or Brooks," I frantically say into the speaker.

"I heard from Nico a few hours ago," Bella says.

"And you didn't tell me because...?"

"Because something's definitely up, and I didn't want to worry you at work. He's acting weird and being vague when I ask him about Brooks."