Prologue

JAMES AND LILY POTTER had not planned on adopting a child. No, their first son Harry had only been born 11 months ago, and the family couldn't be happier. Harry was their whole happiness. Lily wanted more children, maybe even a little daughter, but they were content with baby Harry. If he turned out to be like his father, Lily thought, then she already had her hands full. But on this cold autumn day, their plans were completely disrupted. Harry was with Sirius, and the new parents were running errands before walking hand in hand through the park. Suddenly, Lily stopped and looked around with a furrowed brow. "Honey, did you hear that?" she asked James quietly. He hadn't noticed anything, so he just looked around, looking pretty confused. "What do you mean?" Instead of answering him, Lily turned away and stepped off the path onto the grassy area. She just kept going, and a completely bewildered James followed her. The longer he followed her, the more he guessed what was going on. He soon heard it clearly: the soft babble of a baby. What made it so problematic was that there was no one around for miles. The park was empty. On this Sunday, people probably had better things to do than go to the park. "By Merlin!" Lily suddenly cried out in alarm and sat down on a rusty wooden bench. She reached under the bench and carefully pulled out something wrapped in a few cloths. It was undoubtedly a baby, and that made the two parents swallow hard. "Poor little thing. Who just left you here?" she whispered as she looked into the girl's face. Beautiful curious brown eyes looked into Lily's green eyes. The mother couldn't help but smile, while James noticed something else. A small note was attached to the baby, and someone had apparently scribbled something on it very quickly. "Goods from Egypt. Female, 3 months old, about 5 kilograms, 55 centimeters tall. Fast delivery. Stopover in London," James read aloud, and from word to word they became more and more worried. That didn't sound normal, and the suspicion that a desperate mother had left her there disappeared in no time. There was more to it than that.
"That sounds like human trafficking, darling. Such a sweet girl. Muggles are really crazy...",James remarked, quickly noticing his wife's warning look. Nervously, he scratched the back of his neck with his hand. "Some...Muggles. Some," he corrected himself hastily.
Not more than an eye roll followed as Lily stood up with the little girl in her arms and gently embraced her. A bell-like, soft giggle could be heard from the baby, and once again, it brought a smile to the parents' lips. They didn't have to say it. Both of them found the girl absolutely adorable, and no one could explain why something like this was done to a baby. Where were the parents? Who left her here? Was any of this even right?
"We should first take her to the police, James. Her parents must be looking for her. And...then we'll see. Come with me."
And so they went to the police. It turned out differently than planned and expected because when the policeman suggested they put her in a children's home, Lily was naturally against it. She believed that it wouldn't do the little girl any good and suggested taking her in until her parents came forward. Meanwhile, they also investigated who was responsible for leaving this little girl somewhere under a bench, stamped as merchandise. Several weeks passed, and no one came forward, and nothing came up during the investigations, but that didn't bother James, Lily, and Harry. Soon enough, the Potter family had a new member.

Unfortunately, their happiness was destroyed on October 31st. Harry and Alyssa, the children who lived. Saved by their mother's love.