Chapter 6- Negative Jing

Sokka wasted no time after the Council had ended, immediately searching high and low throughout the royal palace for his sister. Eventually, he search took him to a secluded area by the palace fountains just outside the training grounds. The area was constructed in a similar manner to the old one at the Northern Palace, as a tribute to the old Master who had taught Katara most of what she knew. And ever since Aang's passing, Katara had devoted herself to it fervently, dedicating most of her time to training the younger generations, both boys and girls, in the arts of Waterbending to better defend themselves.

"Katara?"

He scanned the area, before finally settling on the silhouette of his younger sister sitting by the fountain side. Her knees were up to her chest, with her arms crossed over them, while her face was staring blankly over the still water, lost in thought.

The sight made Sokka's heart sank, and he didn't say anything more as he approached her. He wasn't used to seeing his Katara like this, not in a long time, and a wave of guilt shot through him, realizing that he had put her in that position in the first place. He had thought that the pain of the last twenty years had at least partially healed by now, but it was obvious now to him that once she saw the Avatar- Korra- after so long, the old wounds had been ripped back open once more.

Knowing that words were useless at this time, Sokka did the only thing that he knew he could do at a time like this; and that was to simply be there for her. Katara barely seemed to acknowledge Sokka's presence as he took up a seat next to her by the fountain's edge.

Katara sighed as Sokka took his place next to her, closing her eyes and burying her face into her arms to hide the trickle of tears that streamed down her face as the old memories resurfaced. She hated having her brother see her like this, especially after all the burdens and responsibilities that he had to bear as one of the leaders in the city. The last thing he needed on his mind was a sister who could barely keep herself together. But at the same time, he was the only one left that she could confide in.

After a short time, Katara finally spoke.

"I'm sorry..." she sniffed, wiping her eyes. "I didn't mean to-"

"Don't be." Sokka said warmly, putting his arm around her for comfort. "I know how hard this is for you, and I'm sorry for even putting you in a position like that. It wasn't fair."

"No," Katara shook her head. "You did what you thought was best."

Sokka nodded quietly, letting his sister continue on.

"I just... didn't know if I could have done this...not after everything that's happened."

"That's not like you at all." Sokka said seriously, putting up a strong front for his sister's sake. "You're the only one I know who can do this."

"That's just it...." Katara admitted softly. " I don't know if I'm strong enough to do this."

"I wouldn't be here if it weren't for you. All of this-" Sokka gestured at the surrounding palace and buildings, "-wouldn't have been possible without everything you've done. Don't sell yourself short Katara, you're the strongest person I know."

Katara didn't seem to acknowledge that, instead, she settled back into a brooding silence. And Sokka pressed his case, rather than letting her sink more into her thoughts.

"She's not Aang you know." He said at last, with a more serious tone. "It wouldn't be fair to her, or to you."

"I know." Katara admitted. "...but..I just can't right now."

"And I won't make you." He replied sympathetically. "But I know one day, I know you'll be ready. Just take it easy for now, okay sis?" He smiled. He had originally planned to bring up the topic of Zuko, and his presence in the city, but he decided that Katara had enough surprises for one day. Especially one that would potentially send her over the edge that she was precariously tipping over.