chapter 2

Thanks guys for encouraging me to write more. I hope there is no confusion in the story plot. I am writing for the second time only that too after a long time. So I'll keep revising it. I was in a hurry so I posted without rereading.

___________________________________________

Murtasim didn't know how to get out of this mess. His mother was adamant on getting him married to Meerab. He had always seen her as a cousin, an amanat of his beloved late mamu Jaan. And he had feed this information to his mind so many times that it feels like a sin to even think about it any other way.

He remembered the first time he saw her she was in the garden playing around with the water hose, which seems quite wierd to him. But then she turned around splashing water all over him, and she didn't even realise. He got angry and grabbed her hand to stop her. She looked at him with shock. But when he got a close look at her face his anger suddenly disappeared. She was looking like an angel in white anarkali, her dark locks were caressing her pale cheeks. He was freezed for a moment. She looked really young. Really young, which brought him back to his senses. To cover his emotions he said in a cold voice leaving her hand "Andhi ho kya? 6 ft ka admi dikhai nahi deta?"

Since that day he had promised himself he will keep himself away from her yet will be there for her whenever she needs him. But after his father's unfortunate death last year his mother has gotten this sudden urge to get him married as soon as possible. Because according to her he has lost himself in his work and the only solution to the problem is marriage, offcourse. But he knew the only solution is to talk to Meerab. And he'll have to do that before his mother come up with another idea of getting them tie the knot.

_________________________________________

"Meerab can we talk for a moment?" Murtasim asked. Meerab turned to answer him but before she could say anything Maya was there taking hold of his hand to get his attention.

"Hi Murtasim. Tell me that textile deal is not out of our hands already. Dad is so worried since last week." She said anxiously.

"No it's under control. We won't loose it. I am sure chachu is here now we will find some solution." He replied.

"We may shift here permanently. Dad is concerned about the business. Unhe lagta hai ki tum ye sab akele nahi sambhal paoge." Maya told him. " By the way Dad tumhara study main intezar kar rahe hain."

"Ha main aata hu. Abhi kuch kaam hai." He said looking at Meerab.

"Nahi sab kaam baad me hote rahenge ye zyada zaroori hai." Maya insisted.

"Okay, let's go then." They left for the study room leaving behind a very confused and anxious Meerab.

What did he want say? And why doesn't she like Maya's casual familiarity with him?

"Chalo zarur chachu kuch ache gifts lae honge. Chal kar dekhte hain." Maryam said patting her arm. Meerab couldn't care less about any gifts.

________________________________________

It was 8 pm already and Murtasim still wasn't back from office. He went to office with Maya and Anwar uncle after half an hour meeting in the study room. This deal must be really big thing for Anwar to come to Pakistan after so long. But she couldn't think beyond Maya holding Murtasim's hand.

It was her birthday, atleast he could have wished her in the afternoon. He was never very friendly, it always seems like he was holding back himself, with her but neither did he ignored her birthdays and result days like this. It was always a one liner "happy birthday" with one little gift from him . But it had the ability to make her whole day brighter and joyful.

"So you are Maryam's cousin?" She turned around on a stranger's voice to find a guy about Maryam's age looking at her intently.

"Sorry, maine aap ko pechana nahi." She replied

"I am Shahzain, your Anwar uncle's son." He said sitting beside Meerab on the couch.

"Oh I had no idea Anwar uncle had a son too." She said then realised her insensitivity. " Sorry I don't know much about Maryam's dadihal." She said.

"No offence I think my dad also don't remember he has a son too. Unke liye unka bhatija hi unka beta hai. Akhir Murtasim Khan duniya ki sabse layaq aulad Jo hai." He said taking bite of the apple in his hand. He was trying to sound cool but Meerab could hear anger and a little jealousy in his voice.

"I don't think ke Aisa kuch hai. Maybe abhi aap ko waqt lagega business ko samjhne main jabke Murtasim se wo apne sare maslon ka zikr kar sakte hain."

"Pehle to mujhe aap bolne ki koi zarurat nahi hai. Dusra me janta hu apne dad ko. Chhodo ye sab, wanna go out for ice-cream? I am already bored here." He said turning towards Meerab. He was too close for Meerab's comfort.

"Pehle to ye humari pehli mulaqaat hai to main zyada be takallufi pasand nahi karti. Aur ice-cream ke liye aap Maryam ko hi le jayen." She left Shahzain awestruck with her crisp reply. And left from there.

_______________________________________

It was midnight and she couldn't sleep so she went to the kitchen to eat something as she hadn't eaten anything earlier. Maryam and Phuppo had thrown her a party. All her friends were invited. But she was not there atleast not mentally. Her eyes kept darting towards the entrance that Murtasim may come with his gift. But he never came. He still wasn't home yet. What could have taken them so long?

A clicking sound of keys torn her from her thoughts she turned to find Murtasim infront of her leaning on the kitchen doorway. His tie was gone. White sleeves were folded on his bronze arms giving him more sleek look in the dim light coming from kitchen lamp.

"What are you doing here Meerab? It's almost 1 am." He asked running his hand through his hair. He was looking extremely tired. Must have been a long day for him. Which melted Meerab's heart.

"I was hungry. Aap ne kuch khaya? Me aap ke liye khana laga deti hu." She turned towards the fridge.

"Uski koi zarurat nahi hai. Main kha ke aya hu. " He looked at her for a moment then continued. "Meerab shayad ye waqt sahi nahi hai lekin main nahi janta mujhe kab fursat hogi. To agar tumhare paas waqt ho to thodi der meri baat sun sakti ho?" He said sitting on a chair near kitchen counter.

Meerab was not ready for any sort of discussion with him in this intimate surrounding. Though the kitchen was big enough to serve the whole neighborhood but his presence had an ability to make it look tiny and intimate. She sat opposite him on the chair across the counter.

"Ma ne tumse kuch baat Kari hai..?" He started Meerab could feel her heartbeats getting faster. " Humari shadi ke bare me?" He continued when she didn't reply.

"Dekho Meerab main janta hoon tum apni padhai mukammal karna chahogi or sach bolu to main bhi is rishte se razi nahi hu." He kept explaining but Meerab didn't hear anymore. She was deaf to her surroundings. She didn't know what she was expecting but this was not even in her worst imagination.

"Aur main chahta hoon ke tum Ma se ye baat khul ke kaho ke hum dono ka koi mel nahi hai. Humari Umar, humari pasand, humare shauq kuch bhi ek sa nahi hai. It will be a disaster." She had heard enough. She stood up.

"Main bhi koi apse shadi karne ko mari nahi ja rahi hu. Fikr na karen koi disaster nahi hoga apki zindagi me." Saying that she left the kitchen.

__________________________________________

I know it's a short chapter. I will try to write next one as early as possible.

Thankyou so much for positive reviews. It means so much.