Chapter 1 - Mia

Sometimes seeing ghosts had it's perks.

As soon as the elderly lady hobbled out of my run down shop I started counting the massive wad of cash she had slipped me.

All I had provided her was a few words of comfort. A tale or two of her deceased husband living it up in the afterlife. And a couple of far off stares, and just like almost everyone that found their way into my shop, she believed it.

I had made a name for myself in the small town. There was but two thousand people in Fallhurst, only growing a few handfuls after my five years in being here.

I was poor when I came—still was if I was being honest—and had no way of making money. But it was only a few days before I realized the small quirks of this town.

Turns out this town loves the supernatural.

And with this money I had enough for monthly rent on this shop and afford a treat for myself.

A part of me felt bad for taking advantage if some of these people in their grief filled states, but money was money.

A high pitched whine drew me from my thoughts.

I looked back to my desk where my cat, Airi, sat looking at me with big green eyes. Also a customer favorite. She would often sit on the laps of customers as I went about my show, soaking up all the attention and warmth. One would almost think that she was the perfect accomplice. Putting everyone at ease while I worked my magic.

I bounded towards her, letting may hand run across her smooth, blackfur. She leaned into my pets, her purr filling the quiet shop.

"Maybe I can get you a treat too," I whispered to her.

When she looked up at me and meowed as if understanding my words, I couldn't help but smile.

"For an ex-stray, you sure are spoiled."

Not that I minded. I would spoil that cat with everything I had. After all she was all I had besides this shop.

I had been lucky to find her one day back behind my dumpster. At the time she was all skin and bones and hadn't gotten her nails trimmed in what looked like years. When I took her to the vet they rushed her into emergency medical care.

She fought to survive and after that there was no way I would be able to leave her behind.

The door bell chimed behind me and caused my heart to speed up.

Another customer? Maybe my luck is finally kicking in!

I turned to greet them but jolted back when I came face to face with a person—no not person. I gripped onto the desk behind me with all my might for fear that I may faint if not.

She could have been confused for a person if it wasn't for the bright red horns jutted from her forehead. They poked out of brilliant white hair and circled backwards and out. Dark black veins trailed from them, running down her forehead and sticking out against her pale skin.

Wide red eyes filled my vision, looking at me with a playful expression. What should have been the whites of her eyes was completely black.

I couldn't speak, couldn't move. Fear had gripped ahold of my entire body.

"Spirit seer," she breathed. Her voice was husky and held a bit of a growl to it. "It's been awhile since I've seen one of your kind."

I opened my mouth to speak, but no words cake out. She tilted her head to the side and took a step back. Only then did I notice two things.