Chapter Twenty-Nine

Hermione woke up and for a long precious moment she believed she was sleeping soundly in her dorm room, that if she'd turn her head she'd see Parvati's bed, and that all that happened up to this point was just a horrible dream. But then she tried to move and felt unable to do so. it felt as if she was bind to the bed, although there were no visible ropes around her body.

She was in the hospital wing, all alone. It was dark outside, only bright moonlight shone from the long wide windows. The more consciousness Hermione gained, the stranger it all seemed to her. She heard faint sounds of battle outside, muffled by the thick walls of the castle. It reminded her so much of the Battle of Hogwarts. She squirmed in her bed, making the firm mattress squeak, but there was no way for her to get out from whatever spell was put on her. At least she could move, at least she was conscious, that had to count for something. And at least she could scream, so that's what she did. She screamed for help, then she screamed Moody's name over and over again, until eventually her voice gave out. Her hands were empty, her wand long gone. She had nothing, only herself.

And it was all her fault.

Maybe putting herself in this situation even though she clearly knew this couldn't end well was a way for her to punish herself.

Well, it was working.

Hermione started to slowly drown in a miserable type of self-hatred, but then the door to the hospital wing opened, and she Cho come in.

Her heart leaped over itself at the familiar face of her friend, who was stalking closer to her.

"Hermione," Cho whispered. "What happened."

"I don't remember... Moody... He made me drink something, and when I woke up, I was here..."

Cho lifted her wand, trying to crack the binds put on Hermione. "I thought I told you not to come here," she hissed. "It's turned into a complete madhouse. Everybody thinks you did it, Hermione, everyone believes you killed Harry."

She stared at Cho, who was quickly working on a spell. She felt the weight on her body lessen.

"Do you believe it?"

Cho gave her a matter-of-factly look. "Of course not. I believe that whatever happened, you did it because you have to."

A few more whooshes of Cho's wand, and Hermione was free. She sat up in the bed, not standing up for a minute, waiting for the black spots in her vision disappear.

"If Harry hadn't died, Voldemort would've been impossible to kill. Now, now that all the Horcruxes are destroyed... He is mortal..." Hermione rushed to explain.

Cho's expression didn't change. "I'm afraid that gives us little advantage – You-Know-Who's whole army is here. The Order is in shackles. We can count ourselves lucky if we beat them."

Hermione's worst fears and suspicions came to fruition.

"Is it true Snape killed Pansy?" she asked.

Cho nodded. "I'm very sorry. We need to hurry," she added more briskly, grabbing Hermione's forearm, forcing her to stand up on wobbly legs.

They went out of the hospital wing. Two incapacitated people were at the door. Cho must've taken them out. Hermione was both shocked and saddened when she saw one of them was Percy Weasley. They must've been told to keep an eye on her, but they didn't know what Cho was capable of. Both went into the corridors. Hermione realized Cho was trying to shield or hide her with her body from view – because of course, everybody here now believed she was the enemy. She looked out of the window and saw bursts of blue, red and green lights, it looked like fireworks, and it echoed all the same, but Hermione knew it was something a lot more deadly.