Chapter Three: Favors

That night, like so many nights before in my life, I found I couldn't sleep

That night, like so many nights before in my life, I found I couldn't sleep. I tossed and turned in a futile attempt to comfort myself, alone in the cold room. I thought that, perhaps, a part of my restlessness was the fear that I would be plagued with nightmares and the goddess would have to step in once again.

I didn't want that.

I got out of bed and quickly dressed myself, lighting a lamp and walking down the dark hall. It reminded me greatly of all of the times I had wandered down these halls in my youth. When I was in front of the door to the room Ayla was sleeping in, I paused before gently knocking.

"Yes?" She called from within the room.

I quietly opened the door. She seemed surprised to see me standing there. 

"Oh, Judith." She said.

It was late, but it seemed she was still awake. The lamps in her room were still lit, burning a soft orange against the cold gray stone. She didn't seem to be doing much. Perhaps she could not sleep either.

"Ayla, can I ask something of you?" I said. "It's a bit embarrassing."

I was trying to fight the embarrassment that I was sure was creeping up in my cheeks. I felt stupid, a bit like a lost child looking for the comfort of an adult.

"Oh, uh sure." She said, "what is it?"

"Could I sleep with you?"

She seemed taken aback by my request, and I worried that she thought my distance from her as of late was because of something she had done and not my own personal turmoil. If I had hurt her feelings in some way, I had not meant to.

"Erm, sure. I guess I can do that." She said, "I'm just— you know, not sure how it's going to work."

"Oh, don't worry. I'll wear my gloves so you don't get burned."

"Oh, uhm, thanks. But—"

"I should probably leave all of my clothes on as well, but it will be quite warm. It is nearly summer, after all."

"Yes, wait, but—" She frowned and shook her head, seemingly lost for words.

"Are you worried there won't be enough room?" I said, I glanced over her shoulder at the bed. It was a bit small. "Because I was a bit worried about that as well. I don't want to inconvenience you or anything."

She blanched, wide eyed. 

"...Enough... enough room?"

"I can sleep on the floor as well. I don't mind it. I just want to be able to get more rest than I have been lately. If I am not alone, I think it may help."

"Oh. Oh!" She seemed relieved for some reason. "Of course. I don't mind at all."

"Oh, okay." I said.