Chapter Five: The Refuge

"Judith

"Judith. Judith."

There was a voice. The gentle prodding of my shoulders. The cold sting of rain against my face.

"Greta?" I whispered.

"No. It's me. Ayla."

I blinked up at her. She was on her knees at my side. There was concern etched on her brow as she frowned down at me.

"Where's Greta?" I asked her.

She ignored my question.

"Are you hurt? Did somebody attack you?"

I pulled myself up, but my arms buckled underneath me and I fell back down into the wet grass. She rushed to grab my shoulders and help me back up. I felt weak, and groggy.

"Are you sick?"

"No. No. Nothing is wrong with me." I said, "I saw Greta."

She paused to frown even more, though it was softer this time. There was a bit of pity to it.

"Judith..."

"She... she did that thing." I shook my head. "She made me fall asleep, and then... and then I suppose she left."

Something about the way she looked at me made me feel as though she didn't believe me. It had been clear for the past few weeks that she and Imanthi thought my emotions were unraveling, and I'm sure this was not helping prove my sanity to her.

"Here, let's get back to the convent." She said, "The storm is picking up even more. You shouldn't be out in the rain if you don't feel well."

"I'm fine." I repeated. "I'm not sick or anything."

She held out her hand to me.

"Let me carry you. It's not far."

"I should look for Greta. I don't know where she went." I protested, pushing her hand away. "What if she's in danger?"

"You're not in any condition for that. Why don't you let me take you back. We can decide what to do after you rest."

"What about the water?" I said, a last ditch effort to try and convince her to leave me. "Imanthi needs it for the medicine she is making."

"I am able to carry that as well as you."

"There's no reason for you to brag about such a thing to me."

This time, at least, her concerned frown faded into an amused smile.

"Here-"

She didn't extend her hand. Instead, she just grabbed me and heaved me up from the ground as if I was a sack of flour and she the local baker. It was a bit embarrassing for me. She quickly grabbed the jug from across the field and set back off towards the convent.