Prologue

Summer of 1973

The air in the forest was thick with the smell of Summer; the scent of fresh rain from the storm hours before still stained the air, the fresh blooms of buttercups and yellow violets balancing water droplets idly. Cordalina Brave tilted her head up toward the waning sun, coils of dark curly hair bouncing back behind her shoulders. 

Less than a quarter to sundown she noted as she peered up through the towering evergreens, measuring the sun's saturation by marking the soft pinks and lilacs that dotted the sky. She looked back down in front of her where she stood before base one of the many towering trees. She took a small step back and turned around, measuring her surroundings. She was alone in the woodlands, save for the nature that surrounded her. Birds rustled the leaves in the trees, squirrels climbed and played around her, and the crickets chirped their evening lullaby. She was so far into the forest that there were no signs of civilization near. It was like she was in a whole other world.

Well, somewhat of another world. Nothing like the other world she would soon enter before dusk fell to night.

Cordalina brought her closed hand up to her face, air slipping through her palms as she unraveled her hand. In her hand revealed a golden token inscribed with an E, about the size of a quarter. All it took was a glance at the coin in her hand to regain her focus. Everstell, she whispered breathlessly of the mystical realm of lore and wonder. The realm that many would long to go to, to be a part of a higher magical prophecy. Those who had gone never wanted to leave, and those who had yet to go would sell their souls to do so. For Cordalina, however, the blissful mystique Everstell promised was all an illusion.

She closed her fist tightly around the token once more, pressing her fingernails into her brown skin. She looked quickly up to the sky, and when she noticed the sun seeped farther into the horizon, she cursed. She had little time left.

Cordalina reached down beside her to pick up her backpack, which was heavy with scrolls, water tins, and essentials alike that would get her through her first few days in Everstell. When she had first gone, nearly five years ago, she was ill prepared.

She wouldn't make that same mistake again.

Cordalina took a deep breath and remembered her purpose. She hoisted the backpack up to her back, making sure the straps were secure around her arms. She allowed herself to play into her nerves for a while, twirling the golden oval locket that lay on her chest between her fingers. I'll be protected, she reminded herself, looking at the locket that would soon glow gold when she crossed the threshold to the magical realm.

She looked back at the tree before her, sizing it up. She was about to take another step closer when she heard a splash, along with a few breaking branches. Thanks to her elven hearing, the sounds were amplified, which only alarmed Cordalina more. She whirled in her spot, feet planted firmly to the ground in brace for defense. She only loosened when she saw that the sound was coming from the doe in the distance, along with her three little children scuttling after her across a shallow pond. Cordalina was entranced by the doe, and the doe seemed to be entranced by her as it paused in its spot, her children halting in stride, and stared at Cordalina head on, as if she were the headlights.

And they started, and stared at one another. Until, however, a group of pestering nats decided to swarm Cordalina. She was thrown back into the present moment, swatting her hands to keep the flies away.

"Get away you rabbid nats." Cordalina said as she stumbled a little, trying to escape the flies.

"That's no way to dismiss your loving, gorgeously handsome husband." A voice teased