The Fae Revel

"Amelia Stomne, you look like you'd rival the Fae Queen in style"

"No Lisa, I look like I'm heading to Coachella"

I stare back at my reflection, confirming my evaluation. My white romper stands out against my brown skin, fabric etched with lace and sleeves loose, hanging by the wrist. My cotton candy pink hair falls behind my back in a thick braid, with two strands loose framing my face. To top it all off, a flower crown decorated with green leaves is intertwined with violet and yellow flower petals. Yup, it's definitely coachella.

I turn away from the mirror in Lisa's bedroom to face her. She's sitting on her bed, brown hair falling freely on her shoulders. She's clad in a yellow dress that hangs loose on her pale skin, looking me up and down.

"Well Coachella or Fae Queen, you look lovely." Lisa got up off the bed, nudging me over so she could take a look at herself in the mirror.

"And I look amazing as well," Lisa says, tugging a strand of hair behind her ear. Her round face was flushed with light blush, her brown eyes surrounded by lilac glitter.

"Are you ready to go?" She asks, stepping away from the mirror.

I hesitate to respond. I did agree to go with Lisa to the fae revel, not because I wanted to go, but because of her very persuasive tactics that led me to fall victim to peer pressure. It was the one time the majestic beings of Everstell, the magical realm full of everything you thought was just a fairytale, came to the human realm.

"Yes, let's get this over with"

Lisa sighs, "Lia you don't have to pretend to be upset to go just because I'm forcing you to come with me. Be happy! It's a time for you to-"

"Connect with my heritage yada yada" Lisa did this spiel everytime, and everytime I explained to her the goal actually wasn't to connect with my heritage. You see, my mother is half elven, thanks to my full elven grandma who was born and raised in the human realm. Grandpa Jack was always vague about the grandmother I never met but he explained how grandma disappeared into Everstell when mom was 5, searching for something she shouldn't have. Grandma never returned to the human realm again, lost to mystery. Grandpa wagered that she was probably dead. I know I know, it all sounds a bit melodramatic, but the moral of the story implied this much: Everstell is a big no no on the family vacation list.

Lisa sighs, "It'll be funnnn, think of it as just another party!"

"I don't like parties-"

"And," Lisa continues, "think of all the food. And the hot elves and fae. And the-"

I wave her off, "Lisa I'm going, I'm going. I already told you so. You know my one rule though, right?" I cross my arms and raise an eyebrow.

Lisa rolled her eyes, "Don't accept an offer to Everstell."

She plops on her bed next to me and sighs. "It's not like we'd get an invite anyways. I heard only very few exclusives get to go. A shame. Oh well."

The only reason my parents were letting me go to the revel with Lisa was because they knew I'd never go to Everstell. Plus, mom had gone once with grandpa and said that it My parents were strong believers that if curiosity wasn't appeased with permission, it would be satisfied without it irresponsibly. Plus, they were confident I could live by these commandments if I were to ever be in a compromising position with Everstellians. The following are:

Don't accept an offer to Everstell

If Everstellian perseus, run or attacc (thanks 10 years of Jiu-Jitsu)

If the first two commandments are not fulfilled...pray

As if Lisa could read my mind she says, "You know you don't have to do anything you don't want to."