Welcome to Everstell

Stepping through a portal is like stepping into the ocean, but instead of cold salt water, warm waves of air create tingling sensations that wrap around your body. For a moment, you feel like you're drowning, but then almost too abruptly you reach the surface, gasping for air.

That was exactly why Cylis was watching me, hands on my knees, panting like a dog that had just completed their afternoon run.

"I think I'm gonna barf." I say, breathe ragged.

Cylis looks at me, unsure of what to do.

"Maybe you should sit down for a second." I didn't need to be told that twice. I immediately plop myself on the ground and try to slow my breathing.

I look around to take in my surroundings. The portal had led us to what appeared to be a garden. Unnaturally vibrant greens grew around the cobblestone path, flowers of piercing violets and soft periwinkles dotted the gardens. I look up at the sky to get a better sense of the time, but before my eyes can land on the sky, they spot the luminous structure before me, massive with golden spires and ornate etchings on its walls: a castle. Several balconies hold different people, creatures of different kinds, mingling in luxurious gowns and suits. Finally, my eyes land on the sky, a sliver of crescent beaming in the midst of a purple-orange ombré, a contrast to the dull dawn I'd just seen in the human realm.

Cylis, who was following my gaze, looks back down at me.

"Do you think you can walk?" He holds out a hand and I grab it, willing myself to stand up.

"Yup." I sigh, my eyes still wandering, taking in every sense of this mythical world.

"Everstell is so beautiful, why do you even go to the human realm?" I straighten out my romper and fix my braid.

Cylis shrugs. "Humans fascinate us. Also, we really enjoy techno music."

"Can't you just play techno here?" I spread my hands out to the castle.

Cylis shakes his head. "We do not have electricity in Everstell, therefore we cannot create the same authentic melodies produced by your devices."

"Interesting." I remark, as a plump woman with pointed ears comes out of nowhere. She's dressed in a beige evening gown, slightly darker than her tanned-freckled skin, sequins coating the short sleeves, which are puffed up at the shoulders. Cylis turns to face the woman expectedly, as she bows her head down to him.

"Your highness, it is great to see that you have safely returned."

I can't help my mouth from falling open. Your highness? I look from the woman to Cylis, raising an eyebrow.

Cylis ignores my surprise. "Marcella," the prince nods to the woman with what appears to be a genuine smile. "You look lovely as ever."

Marcella returns the smile, warm amber eyes alighting with joy. I try to get a sense of her age, but there are no grey hairs coating the thick brown curls coiled on top of her head. The Elven are weird, because they simultaneously seem so young and so old.

"The occasion requires my best appearance. After all, the Great Ball only happens once every so often."She gives a knowing smirk. "Speaking of which," Marcella turns her gaze to me and suddenly I freeze. She looks at Cylis, then back at me, as if realizing something. "Is this your guest, highness?"

Cylis looks at me, almost as if he forgot I was there in the first place. "Ah yes, Marcella, meet Amelia. Amelia, this is Lady Marcella, one of my mother's good friends."

I smile and give Marcella a shy wave. "Hi, I'm Amelia"

"Yes, yes I've just been told that." Marcella looks at me amused, a sly smile cutting her cheeks. All of a sudden I feel awkward, my smile fading out. I need to refocus on my mission here: find Lisa and bring her back. I say as much to Cylis.