Ch. 5 // The Stranger On The Gangplank

They're right when they say 'Be careful what you wish for,' Louisa thought. When I said I wanted to board a ship, I didn't mean as a spy.

Yet here she was, waiting in line on the New York harbor docks ready to hand over her one-way ticket to England before boarding The Dresden. The sea breeze rustled the ticket in her hand, and the salty air clung to her cornflower blue dress. It was the simplest dress she owned as it didn't have as many skirts compared to some of her others, making it more of a frock. Louisa didn't want to draw attention to herself with ornate designs or be restricted in a corset for the sake of her mission. Mr. Taylor had warned her to keep her head down and blend into the crowd. "Be easily forgettable and you'll be safe," he had told her.

He also advised to pack light for the journey and that she would be provided with more clothes and necessities upon her arrival in England. Though she heeded his advice, the carpet bag she carried still felt heavy in her hand. It contained only one other change of clothes, her father's copy of Gulliver's Travels, a couple hairpins, a moleskin with notes she'd accumulated over the past two weeks and a few other possessions she would need for the journey. Louisa shifted the bag to her opposite hand as she reflected on what transpired since she left Mr. Taylor's house two weeks ago.

The rusty hinges of Louisa's front gate squeaked as she opened it to slip through to her front garden. She hadn't realized it before, but her hands were covered in ink from the fifteen-odd letters she scribbled to Sir Godfrey Genkins. Before she left Mr. Taylor's house, Louisa remembered that she was going to have to lie to Sir Genkins about her whereabouts for the indefinite future, not that she had any problem with lying to that man. Mr. Taylor was kind enough to offer his assistance in the matter. He would sporadically mail pre-written letters from Yonkers to Sir Genkins under the guise that Louisa was caring for an "ill" aunt, allowing her to travel to England under no suspicion from her suitor.

"Miss. Louisa! Wherever have you been?" hollered a whiney falsetto from her front porch.

"Sir Genkins? Whatever are you doing here?" Louisa halted in her tracks, thoughts racing as she tried to think of an excuse for the outing she was currently returning from.

"We had a rather abrupt end to our luncheon the other day so I wanted to call on you and make sure you didn't have any misgivings about our courtship," he stuttered nervously, picking at the hem of his coat jacket.

Louisa scoffed inwardly, but outwardly, she plastered on a sweet smile. "How could I ever have reservations about us?" The blatant lie made her sick, but the ever-so-dense Sir Genkins' face lit up with a smile.

"Well, that's just great. Truly wonderful to hear," he sighed, clutching his chest in relief.

Mr. Taylor had made it very clear that Louisa must make it seem as though nothing had changed in her life in order to maintain her undercover status. That meant continuing the courtship.

"Actually, Sir Genkins, there is something that I need to discuss with you. My aunt, who lives upstate, has suddenly fallen ill and needs me to care for her. I'm afraid I will have to travel and stay with her until she recovers," Louisa said, feigning emotion. "I'm sure you understand the urgency," she sniffled and shed a tear for good measure.

"Oh, Louisa! Please send my well wishes to your aunt as she recovers. This must be very hard for you to deal with so soon after the passing of your father." Sir Genkins took a step towards Louisa off the porch. "Maybe I should accompany you--"

"No!" Louisa interrupted forcefully, throwing her hands out and retreating back from Sir Genkins. He blinked in shock at her outburst.

"I insist, Louisa. It's my duty as your future husband to help you through these trying times," he continued to walk towards Louisa, who was cringing at his choice of words.