Epilogue: Graduation

2 years later

"Melody Clemente". The loud cheers from the second row in the front roared as my village of people rose to cheer me on. They were all there, Natalie, Nolan, my now four nieces and nephews, and the rest of my family. Exaggeration on the word of family, but they were all present. I smiled at them as I was handed my degree.

College is over. Every exam, every test, time studying and pressure from school led to this moment. They got me here. And here I was ready to be let in the world.

I took my seat, waiting for Dallas to walk across the stage. And there he was just about a hundred after mine. His name was said and I rose for him. Cheering him on and his eyes as he smiled faded to his family and then to me. I smiled my biggest smile as he did the same.

Our friends each went on their turn, each looking ready to bask in the moment just a second longer. This is all we knew. School. Now working and becoming an adult was knocking at our doorsteps.

We tossed our caps in one synchronized toss, they flew through the hair and symbolized so much more than I would ever understand. I found Dallas, wrapping my arms around him as he kissed my cheek.

"We did it". I looked at him as he smiled. "We did". He said, as we went out to find my huge family that was somewhere around here. We finally found them, as Natalie broke down crying and hugging me at the same time.

"I love you". She hugged me tightly. I whispered it back to her as she broke apart from me. "Thank you, for finding me". I said, now collapsing in her arms as she opened her arms allowing me in. "I would've never given up". She said, holding me tightly.

"You're so grown up... ". She said kissing my cheek and holding onto me until I'm truly unable to let go. She was so happy, when Dallas and I told her that we were moving to the city. We both decided it wasn't good if we stayed here, in the same town that was further from where we needed to be for work or for our families.

I had a job lined up with a publishing company, whereas Dallas was continuing writing books to be published. He had done six in the last four years of college. He had become crazy successful, a NY Bestseller three times now.

"I'm so proud of you". Nolan said, hugging me tightly, not the same as his wife. But I knew he was trying to convey how he felt. Before I had even met my sister, he was the first I had met. He looked so nervous, so afraid, yet he wanted me to be safe. And he gave me a home, a life, a beginning. And here he was for a page in my book. He was there for them all.

I don't think he knows how important he is in my life. He has been so much more to me than a friend, he's been family that has stuck through me through everything. He opened his family to me, he gave me a family, and I couldn't be more thankful for him.

I hugged him tightly. "You both saved me that day... I wouldn't be here without you". I said, reminding him of how much they had both sacrificed for my safety. Natalie had endured so much, for me.

"You're family. Mel. I would go through the universe to save you". He reminded me as I hugged him. They both went on to congratulate Dallas as I found Vi.

She was a teenager now, a teenager. She had grown up but she still had the biggest heart the world had to offer.

She hugged me, pulling me into a rapid fire line of questions as well. She was excited for everything life had to offer, except the idea her brother would not be stably here.

We had spoken lightly about plans after college, and we both had phenomenal jobs lined up but we wanted to celebrate this moment. We were thinking of leaving for the whole summer and coming back in the fall to our jobs. Dallas's was fluid and mine only started up in the fall. This whole summer I had planned to work with Natalie.