Cornered

-Cornered-

"Cornered?" Tanjiro asked, stunned. He hugged his younger sister tightly, who was mumbling tensely, waving her arms. She didn't like what was written.

"Is everything going to be even more shitty here than before?" Zenitsu asks, heartbroken. He wants to cry, but he doesn't cry. He just frowns and silently looks at the screen, mentally preparing for what he will see next.

"Why did you think it would be so bad?" Inosuke asked surprisingly calmly. Considering how loud and hot-tempered he was usually, his calmness and composure at the moment were even more frightening.

"Because, apparently, we will see Tomioka-san's past." agrees with Agatsuma Muichiro. Usually calm and unperturbed, now he was frowning and angry. Genya squeezed his hand reassuringly, sighing heavily. He didn't like it either, because the premonition of the terrible and unkind was off the scale.

"I am sure that we may now be shown his childhood?" Kanao suggested, not very confidently.

The others were talking quietly among themselves, trying to figure out what exactly they would see, given the name. They looked at each other warily and frowned. Although they saw only one part, they already realized that the name is given in essence of what is happening.

That's why they couldn't help but think that the next part would be very difficult.

But they couldn't figure out exactly how terrible it would be.

However, they should see it soon.

It was a terrible place. The children around him were always having fun and playing. They lived happily, unaware of what kind of secret this beautiful house keeps, in which they spent the happiest years of their lives. The happiest and the last in their lives, because the truth... was terrible. They did not know, and therefore they were completely carefree, without encountering any serious sorrows, except for poor grades in exams and a constant farewell to the departing children, which invariably came once every three months.

They lived so happily and carefree that at one point Ray almost hated them all.

"W... What?" Mitsuri screamed in surprise, blinking away the tears that had come. "But why?"

"Because, unlike them, he knows the whole truth," Iguro reminded her quietly. He perfectly understood Giyuu's feelings and emotions. He himself went through all this hatred and pain on people who did not go through such a thing, after which he successfully coped with it by directing anger at all the demons. And, apparently, Tomioka did the same. However, if we compare their experiences, although they were similar, they differed too much from each other.

Obonai himself was only afraid for his life. But there were more than twenty children on Tomioka. And also all those who were sent to be devoured by demons from time to time, and there was nothing he could do about it. Iguro saw that this child, who grew up in their Giyuu, had been teetering on the very edge of sanity for quite a long time. And, to be honest, he was afraid to see how it might end.

No, he knew intellectually that he would be fine, considering that he was already an adult and alive, however...

People who are cornered are capable of a lot.

"But... But the children are not to blame for anything!" Kanroji shook her head, not understanding.

"You're right. However, being in this position, it can be very difficult to explain it to yourself. "Hashira Snakes explained based on his experience. "Even if you realize that it's not really their fault."