Chapter 2

As soon as the door shut, Tamsin was certain she had made a mistake. She was alone in the hall, save for a maid lighting the evening candles in the wall sconces. The Wraiths had gone down the hall to their study. She'd join them in a moment.

     Tamsin turned and placed her hand against the intricately carved  metal door. She could feel it, Sasha's magic on the other side. He was covering it, blocking out the sound and anyone who might try to intrude on what they were about to do.

     She felt the magic tug at her through the door, perk up as though it was waiting for her to push back. It strained against the metal, trying to reach her fingers through the inches. She laid her head against her hand.

     "I'm sorry," she whispered and pulled away. She would deal with his later. Surely the magic was only acting this way because she had been gone for so long. His power and her power yearned for each other the same that they yearned for each other's touch. It was part of the pairing. The anklets they wore marked them as Paired and would for life. It wasn't a fated bond like other races had, but a chosen one. There was no legality in it, it was far more sacred than that. They were bound by ancient magic to one another. The had grown up together, had been together since they were teens and after he had taken power, he had asked her. That year, they'd returned to the temple for the ceremony. They were Paired, not just in body but in magic and his magic was desperate for hers right now.

     Tamsin turned, her robes swirling around her knees and strode down the hall. Her soft leather shoes were quiet on the flooring. The hall was tall and nearly empty. Small seating areas, plants, and portraits lined the walls. It was nearly dark now. The sun had set and the last few rays of light were clinging to the night sky. In the city, people would be heading out to the taverns for late night dinner and drinks.

     She reached the door of the study and pushed it open. Inside, the Wraiths had settled in. Ymayne, Miriald, and Iola sat in the armchairs near the fireplace. Iola's feet were propped up on a stool and her head was tipped back to the ceiling, eyes closed. Ymayne and Miriald were talking in soft voices, their hands moving animatedly.

     Thiphania sat at the table near the bookshelves, head resting on her arms. Helisant was near the window, peering out. She turned when Tamsin came in. They had all removed their veils and hunting tunics, piling them on varying pieces of furniture. Now, they lounged in their white cotton leggings and undershirts.

     "What do you think?" Helisant asked, perking up at the sight of her.

     Tamsin shut the door behind her and ripped off her hunting veil, throwing it on a nearby table.

     "I can't imagine it's him." She said. "I don't think Sasha does either. But he'll try to get it out one way or another." She took the chair by the door, happy to be off her feet.

     "Gods, I hope so." Iola said from beside the fire, eyes still closed. "I want to go back to killing monsters and visiting Courts. I'm so sick of hunting down peasants." 

     "They are not peasants." Thiphania snapped at once. "They are our citizens whom we have been chosen to serve."

     "The only serving we're doing is serving them up on a plate." Iola countered. Helisant looked at Tamsin, waiting for her to intervene. Tamsin rolled her eyes but said nothing.

     Thiphania gritted her teeth. "They are allowing themselves to be sacrificed for the good of our kingdom and they deserve our respect."

     "Will you shut up?" Iola groaned. "You act like they're coming willingly. We've had to drag every single one of them into that room."