𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄

★★★★

★★★★

SAMUEL WOOD DIED ON THE SIXTH OF OCTOBER, 2014. 

     They got the next day off school. Every student attending Midtown High - and their family - were tuned in to the news all day. The only information the officers could disclose was that there were reasons to 'suspect foul play'. 

     That meant murder.

     Astrid Walker knew this from the years she had spent obsessing over murder mystery novels (Agatha Christie in particular), and Criminal Minds.

     The classic 'whodunit' was endlessly marvelous to the teenage girl. The twists and turns, the betrayals, and most of all, the final reveal. They left her glued to her seat.

     She spent her whole life wishing for a mystery to solve. A way to prove herself.

     She never thought it would happen, really. 

     Everyone hears about bad things happening all the time, but you never think you'll be the one they happen to.

     You never think your house will be the one to burn down.

     You never think you'll be the one to be in a car crash.

     And you never think your classmate will be killed.

     The mystery Astrid had been looking for her whole life came in the form of the sixteen year old boy who sat beside her in math class. 

     Astrid hadn't paid attention to him much. Not in a rude way (she promises!), but she operated on a strict school-over-friends agenda. Would it matter who she had talked to, or how popular she was in twenty years? 

     Exactly.

     All she remembered was that he was very kind. She had been sick once, and missed a day of classes. The next day, in math, he explained the lesson to her, and gave her some notes he'd copied down for her. Whenever necessary, she would return the favour, and those was the only times they ever communicated. 

     She might not have known much about him, but she knew he didn't deserve to die. Her classmate deserved justice, and Astrid swore she would get it for him, no matter the cost.

author's note:

just so you know, astrid has friends LMAO, but she doesn't prioritize making them over her schoolwork !! she is just very very hard on herself, which will come into play a lot throughout the book. 

ps i really hate this but i'm forcing myself to publish and work through it so that i don't dnf and so that i can improve my work!! so pls pls if you have any advice or anything lmk LOL