CHAPTER IV - Hold On

______________

"Elaine, don't die on me

"Elaine, don't die on me."
_____________

Oblivion was all I could see.

My thoughts were muddled, my breathing seemed far to quiet. Pain ripped through my body and my senses were fuzzy. I could smell the coppery scent of blood—was it mine?

I wasn't sure where I was, or even how long I had been laying here. My arm screamed in pain, my head throbbed. I couldn't bring myself to move, wasn't sure I would be able to.

Everything felt heavy, my closed eyelids, my arms, legs, head. I wanted my thoughts to quiet, so I could get some sleep. That's all I wanted to do—sleep.

Maybe if I did the throbbing would stop. The pain in my heart would ease. I could just let go for a moment, release myself from this world of death and torture.

"Elaine..." the voice that spoke to me was faint, like it was behind a screen.

"Hold on..." The male voice whispered.

I felt strong arms pick me up, my head limp. I couldn't move my arms, nor my legs. All I could feel was the pain.

"Elaine, don't die on me." The male voice said. His voice was hazy, making it unidentifiable.

I slide into the oblivion again, listening to the voice tell me to hold on for a few more minutes.

_____________

Xaden

"Your lucky, Riorson. If you would have found her minutes later she would be dead." Nolon says this while wiping away the blood from Elaine's cuts.

Lucky.

Was I? Elaine was moments from death when I found her, breathing slowly. Her head had been bleeding, blood crusted to her platinum blonde hair. When I had grabbed her I had seen the rock that had almost cost her her life, bloodied and sharp. Her arm was bent in an unnatural way, her cheek scratched up.

My hand had cupped the back of her head when I pulled her onto me, cradling her delicate body. Her chest was barely rising and falling, her eyes wouldn't open and her face was pale. When I had pulled my hand from the back of her head, blood was spotted all over my hand.

I had ripped a strip of cloth from my black shirt, wrapping it around her bleeding head. The blood had soaked through the fabric by the time I had rushed her into the infirmary, Nolon seeing her condition and not hesitating to begin working on her instantly.

"The good thing is, she's going to be okay." Nolon said. My chest loosens, my mind easing.

She's going to be okay. Elaine won't die today. Nolon mutters something but I don't hear the words, focussed on the fact that Elaine is okay.