Eleven: Even High-Tech Security Doesn't Protect You From Everything.

Moments later, Aria pushed through the fogged-up double doors of Rosewood Day's natatorium and joined Spencer and Hanna, who were talking quietly by the vending machines. "Poor Emily," Hanna whispered to Spencer. "Did you know about...this?"

Spencer shook her head. "No idea."

"Remember when we snuck into the Kahns' pool when they were on vacation and went skinny-dipping?" Hanna murmured. "Remember all the times we changed in dressing rooms together? I never felt weird."

"Me neither," Aria piped up, ducking out of the way so a freshman boy could get a soda out of the Coke machine.

"Do you think she thought any of us were cute?" Hanna widened her eyes. "But I was so fat back then," she added, sounding a little disappointed.

"A passed around those flyers," Aria said to Hanna and Spencer. She pointed toward the pool. "A might be here."

They all peered into the natatorium. Competitors stood on the block, waiting. The hammerhead shark mascot paraded up and down the length of the pool. The stands were still packed. "What are we supposed to do about it?" Hanna asked, narrowing her eyes. "Stop the meet?"

"We shouldn't do anything." Spencer zipped up her khaki Burberry anorak ti her chin. "If we look for A, A might get mad...and do something worse."

"A. Is. Here!" Aria repeated. "This might be our big chance!"

Spencer looked at the crowd of kids in the lobby. "I...I have to go." With that, she darted through the revolving doors and sprinted across the parking lot.

Aria turned to Hanna. "Spencer ran out of the here like she was A," she half-joked.

"I heard she's a finalist in some big essay contest." Hanna pulled out her Chanel compact and began dabbing at her chin. "You know she gets manic when she's competing. She's probably going home to study."

"True," Aria said quietly. Maybe Spencer was right—maybe A would do something worse if they searched the stands.

Suddenly, someone whipped her hood off her head from behind. Aria swirled around. "Mike," she gasped. "God."

Her brother grinned. "Did you get a photo of the lesbo action?" He pretended to lick the picture of Emily and Maya. "Can you get me Emily's digits?"

"Absolutely not." She surveyed her brother. His STX lacrosse cap smashed down his blue-black hair, and he was wearing his blue-and-white Rosewood Day Varsity lacrosse windbreaker. She hadn't seen him since last night.

"So." Mike put his hands on his hips. "I hear you got kicked out of the house."

"I wasn't kicked out," Aria said defensively. "I just thought it would be better if I stayed away for a while."

"And you're moving into Sean's?"

"Yeah" Aria answered. After Ella had told Aria to leave, Aria had called Sean in hysterics. She hadn't been fishing for an invitation—but Sean had offered, saying it wouldn't be any trouble at all.

Hanna's jaw dropped. "You're moving to Sean's? As in, his house?"

"Hanna, not by choice," Aria said quickly. "It's an emergency."

Hanna cut her eyes away. "Whatever. I don't care. You're going to hate it. Everybody knows that staying with your boyfriend's parents is relationship suicide." She whirled around, pushing through the crowd toward the front door.

"Hanna!" Aria protested, but Hanna didn't turn around. She glared at Mike. "Did you have to mention that when she was standing here? Do you have no tact at all?"