Chapter 22: The first obstacle

Location: Labin, Istria, Former Republic of Croatia

Time: Tuesday, March 4th, 2014, 08:11

       We were on approach to Labin driving up the serpentine just under the town, probably one of the most beautiful towns in Istria. Nidia was driving ahead of me in her BMW, I was in the Camaro with Eugene and Timmy in the back with Leh-nna lying beside him and her head on his lap. I had company and we were talking all the way catching up on lost time. A good way to distract me from the thoughts and feelings of the Rovinj encounter and the missing of Amy. 

-Really?! I knew you two were together for years even back then, but this is starting to get serious.- I said euphorically and he nodded. -Congratulations man! That's awesome.-              

-Just keep it down. Not a lot of people know.- he warned me. Tanya was back in one of the buses. I've got an idea. Maybe I could try it again.

'Careful Aevos. You have to practice that a lot.'  Leh-nna warned me and stopped me in my attempt to contact Tanya in the bus by mind. 

-Aevos, this Sergey, come in, over.- the radio sounded off. I took the emitter and pressed the button.

-This is Aevos. Over.- 

-I was thinking we could split a group in Labin to look around for supplies. Water and food. You never know, we might even find something useful, over.- he said as if he was asking my permission to do it. Obviously he was trying to make me take command over the group. 

-Whatever you sa, over.- I confirmed and indirectly reminded me that he doesn't have to ask me for permission. -Nidia, this Aevos, over.- 

-Tony here, Nidia is driving.- he said with a sound of a joke. 

-You heard Sergey. Let's stop at the bus station.- I said through the radio. 

-Got it, over.- Tony confirmed. I put the transmitter back on the radio. 

The BMW in front of me turned left on the next crossing and we climbed up into town. We reached the bus station and we parked the cars around the buses. The surroundings were burnt, dried out and deserted. Devastation even harder then in Rovinj. The remnants of Labin were proving that this war wasn't forgiving to anyone. Everybody paid a price, innocent or guilty. Sergey got out of the first bus and looked around. I got out of the car too and walked to the bus. 

-Jane, Phillip, you can come down now. Seems clear to me.- I said looking around with the infrared view. They uncovered themselves and got off the bus. They hid in the store which was once part of this bus station. Eugene walked up to me offering me a cigarette. I took one a lit it up. People were walking out of the buses looking around, surprised and wondering. 

-This is the first time we got this far altogether.- Sergey explained. -This is all new for us too. Three years we have been in hiding.- 

-Alright. Where's Ryann and his squad?- I asked him.

-They're on the other side of the bus.- he told me. I nodded and walked around to reach them. I saw him looking on a map on the hood of his humvee.

-Hey, cpt. Ryann.- I called him. He turned to me. -I was thinking you could do some scouting around. Take Alexandra to the top of that hill. She has a good eye.- 

-Alright. Let's move.- he told his squad and they moved out. I walked back to Sergey who was talking to Eugene and Tony. 

-Who's riding the bikes?- I asked them. 

-It's Mike, Dan, Angie and a few others. Why?- Sergey was pointing towards them. 

-Well, we could scout around much easier with them.- I stated then turned towards Mike and walked over to him.