VI

The distance between you and Satoru had three dimensions. And all three began to unfold when the second year of your studies began.

***

2005

***

You had become so accustomed to the frenetic pace of the world of shamans that returning home for the summer was a shock.

Your parents' house was in the countryside of Tokyo, attached to the grounds of the kyudo arts school they ran. They had taught you how to bow practically before you took your first steps, and over the years you had gotten decent at the art.

Were you excellent? Probably not, but handling the weapon felt as natural as breathing.

The first year at Jujutsu High had also revealed something that kept you up at night. You were weak. And if you compared yourself to your two classmates, you were very weak. With Shoko's help, your wounds had healed perfectly, but you had been too close to a fatal wound for not being able to defend yourself properly.

So, for the three months of summer break, you followed a strenuous physical training beyond. You woke up at dawn every day and started training before the sun rose in the fields of the town that had seen you grow up.

This is how the days passed: wake up, run, train, study, and repeat.

Three long months without seeing Suguru and Satoru.

Damn, you had missed them so much.

Satoru was the first to arrive at Tokyo Jujutsu High.

The days in the city were finally getting cooler, and the school was quieter than usual. Satoru left his luggage in his room with a tight feeling on his chest. The dorm building was empty, and he found it very strange not to see any of his second-year mates.

You weren't expected there for several hours, but Satoru couldn't wait to get the hell out of the Gojo clan house. He had spent three months locked up here, and he had almost lost his mind.

Satoru went out into the hall and knocked on the door of your room, knowing there would be no answer. After a few seconds, he turned the door handle and was surprised to see that it wasn't locked, so he went inside.

The knot in his chest tightened at the sight of that place, where he had shared the best year of his life with his two best friends.

He walked over to your desk and smiled at the polaroid photos you'd hung on the wall. There were photos of moments that you had spent together, like Suguru's birthday, with his cheeks blushed because he didn't expect a surprise party, having a coffee with Shoko in the city, another one of the three together in a hug and smiling at the camera.

But Satoru was surprised to see that you also had solo photos of them, snapshots you had taken without them realizing it. You didn't use to verbalize your feelings, but this was proof that boys had a special place in your heart.

Satoru felt a little bitter suddenly.

Then why hadn't you called him all summer?

He had thought of you a lot.

Well, in all of you.

He was about to leave when he heard a noise in the hallway. Satoru rushed out of the room, eager to find you, and his face was shocked when he saw a boy he didn't know.

"Huh?"

The boy looked at him with an extremely serious expression. He was blond and sharp-featured, wearing the school uniform. Satoru sighed, somewhat disappointed.