Chapter 8

"Psst!" Sage opened bleary eyes. It was still dark out.

    "Sage, wake up a minute!" That was her father's voice.

    She crawled out of bed and poked her head out to look down. He stood smiling up at her in the faint light of the fire, her mother's outline stooped over it in the background.

    "I need your seal."

    She pulled back into the loft without answering and turned to her storage jars. She should have gotten this out for him last night, she certainly had had time for it before she'd finally dropped off to sleep. Pulling it out from under a pile of her clothes, she brushed a thumb over its uneven surface. The simple design of flowers that had been selected for her at birth was carved into a small wooden disc that could be hung from a strap or ribbon around her neck, but people usually didn't wear seals unless they were engaged.

    "Catch." she whispered, leaning back over the edge and holding out her arm.

    Her father reached out expectantly and she dropped it into his hand before her mother's protest could reach them. She clucked her tongue.

    "You two. What if you'd lost it?"

    "We didn't though. Bye, Hennie. Sage, go back to sleep."

    Sage stayed where she was and watched him climb up out the door. Her heart was beating up in her ears.

    "You alright, my girl?"

    She just sighed in answer. She really hadn't slept enough last night.

    "It's not too late to go tell him you changed your mind, you know. He won't be going until later."

    "I didn't"

    "Was that the first time you talked to him, at the festival I mean?"

    "Yes."

    "It might be worth it to take some time to think about it. There's no rush, especially if you don't know that much about him."

    "His mom told me about him."

    "Did she?" she asked.

    "Mom?" Sage hesitated, gripping the edge of the loft.

    "What is it?"

    "I can't really look at him. And I pulled my hand away at the beach."

    Her mother laughed.

    "You'll get used to him eventually and then it'll be like how you are with us."

    "What if he gets sick of it before then?"

    "I'm not worried. I saw you two when you were sitting with your tea."

*

I just really think Sage's parents deserve the whole world.
-Laura